Miley Cyrus' Gluten-Free Diet Encouragement Met With Backlash From Experts
After explaining the real reason behind her recent weight loss, Miley Cyrus encourages her Twitter followers to try a gluten-free diet. A number of dietitians and nutritionists, however, are quick to express their disagreement with one pointing out the downside of such diet for those who are not genuinely allergic to gluten.
Karen Ansel, a registered dietitian and spokeswoman for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, first told Today's Health, "There's absolutely no evidence that a gluten-free diet promotes weight loss." She added, "However, there is data that indicates that following a gluten-free diet can result in a diet that's low in key nutrients - especially iron, zinc and B vitamins such as folate and niacin."
Another registered dietitian Rachel Begun noted, "People who go gluten-free may gain weight if they rely mostly on highly-processed gluten free foods, many of which tend to be higher in fat, calories and sugar than their gluten-containing counterparts." Agreeing to Begun's statement, Ansel chimed in, "Gluten-free foods also tend to lack fiber that fills us up and can help us manage our weight."
Also refusing to encourage gluten-free diet was Dr. David Katz, director of the Yale University Prevention Research Center. "It's a protein that has been in the human diet since the dawn of agriculture," he explained before stating, "I don't endorse cutting gluten as a weight loss strategy. I think it is advisable only for those with genuine sensitivities."
Cyrus urged her fans to try a gluten-free diet after denying rumors she's battling anorexia. Having said that she has "a gluten and lactose allergy" and that gluten is "crapppp", she told one Twitter follower, "everyone should try no gluten for a week! The change in your skin, phyisical and mental health is amazing! U won't go back!"
More Miley Cyrus News
- 'Fate of the Furious' Will Start a New Trilogy, Vin Diesel Says
- Nicki Minaj Flaunts Her Body in Gucci Mane's 'Make Love' Music Video
- See David Beckham's Face Ruined for 'King Arthur' Movie!
- Lamar Odom Admits to Drugs Abuse and Multiple Affairs During Khloe Kardashian Marriage
- Pennywise the Clown Preys on Kids in 'It' Teaser Trailer
- Portia de Rossi Wants Ellen DeGeneres to Enter Rehab
- Kelly Ripa Involved in Drug Overdose Scandal
- Justin Timberlake Teases His Upcoming Collab With Timbaland and Pharrell