Katie Couric to Guest Host 'Good Morning America', 'Today' Staff Unhappy
Before debuting her new talk show, Katie Couric is going to make a return to morning television by guest hosting "Good Morning America" on Monday, April 2. The 55-year-old journalist/author will be filling in for co-host Robin Roberts, who is taking the week off.
"Katie Couric is going to be sitting in this chair next to George Stephanopolis," so Roberts announced Thursday, March 29 on the show. "We're thrilled to have Katie here." Couric herself spread the news by taking it to her Twitter page and writing, "Rise + shine! Excited to be back on morning TV next wk, guest hosting @GMA w/ @GStephanopoulos. #KatieOnGMA."
Couric's guest hosting stint on "GMA" is expected to boost the show's ratings and end the "Today" show's No.1 streak. Media analyst Brad Adgate said, "I think Katie Couric on for one week will break the 'Today' show's consecutive string of 800 plus weeks as the top rated early morning show to an end."
The move has reportedly shocked "Today" staff. One staffer revealed, "There were a lot of jaws dropping all over the place. Then there was a lot of sniping," after they learned about Couric going to "GMA", the rival show of "Today".
Couric was a co-host at "Today" since 1991 before leaving the post in 2006. She then anchored the evening news on CBS, but did not extend her contract when it expired in 2011. She is currently gearing up for the premiere of her hour-long talk show "Katie" in September.
More Good Morning America News
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds
- J Balvin Survives Plane Crash in Bahamas
- Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
- Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
- Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
- Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
- Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked