Katy Perry and One Direction Make Notable Marks Through Their Hot 100 Debut
Like Adele who pulled the biggest Grammy-boosted sales number in the SoundScan history of Billboard Hot 200, Katy Perry and One Direction have scored equally notable marks on Hot 100. The former has the biggest debut since Lady GaGa in 2011, while the latter gains the highest entry for a U.K. act since Jimmy Ray in 1998.
Katy bows at No. 1 on the U.S. single chart by pulling in around 400,000 to 420,000 downloads with her kiss-off single "Part of Me" which she performed at the 54th Annual Grammy Awards. It's her best debut sales week and becomes the highest opening frame for any act since GaGa landed at the top spot with 448,000 copies sold after singing at the Grammys last year.
Meanwhile, Harry Styles and his One Direction bandmates enter the list at No. 28 with their latest offering "Beautiful", which sold 132,000 downloads in its opening week. It's the highest debut for any U.K. act since their senior Jimmy landed at No. 26 with his single "Are You Jimmy Ray?" fourteen years ago.
"Part of Me" is taken from Katy's "Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection", which is an extended version of her album "Teenage Dream" which produced five No. 1 hits. "Beautiful" is lifted off One Direction's debut album "Up All Night".
More Katy Perry News
- Amber Rose Cozying Up to 'DWTS' Pro Val Chmerkovskiy at Her Birthday Party
- Fans Petition 'Deadpool 2' to Hire Quentin Tarantino After Tim Miller's Exit
- It's Not a Perfect Illusion. Lady GaGa Exposes Bare Crotch in Super Tiny Shorts
- Watch President Obama's Perfect Response to Donald Trump's Mean Tweet
- Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Are 'Getting Serious' as She Finalizes Divorce From Lamar Odom
- New 'John Wick: Chapter Two' Images Reveal Bruce Lee's 'Enter the Dragon'-Inspired Setting
- Kourtney Kardashian Channels Evil Queen in Halloween Costume
- Watch Dwayne Johnson Sing 'You're Welcome' in New 'Moana' Clip