Katy Perry and One Direction Make Notable Marks Through Their Hot 100 Debut
Like Adele who pulled the biggest Grammy-boosted sales number in the SoundScan history of Billboard Hot 200, Katy Perry and One Direction have scored equally notable marks on Hot 100. The former has the biggest debut since Lady GaGa in 2011, while the latter gains the highest entry for a U.K. act since Jimmy Ray in 1998.
Katy bows at No. 1 on the U.S. single chart by pulling in around 400,000 to 420,000 downloads with her kiss-off single "Part of Me" which she performed at the 54th Annual Grammy Awards. It's her best debut sales week and becomes the highest opening frame for any act since GaGa landed at the top spot with 448,000 copies sold after singing at the Grammys last year.
Meanwhile, Harry Styles and his One Direction bandmates enter the list at No. 28 with their latest offering "Beautiful", which sold 132,000 downloads in its opening week. It's the highest debut for any U.K. act since their senior Jimmy landed at No. 26 with his single "Are You Jimmy Ray?" fourteen years ago.
"Part of Me" is taken from Katy's "Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection", which is an extended version of her album "Teenage Dream" which produced five No. 1 hits. "Beautiful" is lifted off One Direction's debut album "Up All Night".
More Katy Perry News
- The Flash Reunites With Jay Garrick, Teams Up With Tom Felton's Character in Season 3 Photos
- 'Doctor Strange' IMAX Trailer Unveils Avengers Ties. Also Get Details About Rachel McAdams' Role
- Donald Trump on Former Miss Universe Alicia Machado He Once Called 'Miss Piggy': She's 'the Worst'
- Amy Schumer Is First Woman to Make Forbes' List of Highest-Paid Comedians
- Justin Bieber Blows Snots on Concertgoers After Telling Fans They 'Suck'
- Denzel Washington and Viola Davis Argue Over Their Hard Lives in 'Fences' Teaser Trailer
- Netflix Debuts First Trailer for Its Ambitious Royal Drama 'The Crown'
- Did Gigi Hadid Throw Shade at Harry Styles With This Photo of Zayn Malik?