Adele Scores First and Second Biggest Selling Album of 2011
Aside from her six Grammy nominations, Adele has another thing to celebrate. With just four weeks to go until the end of the year, the British pop sensation, who is currently recovering from a throat surgery, is declared as an artist with the biggest selling album of 2011 in the United Kingdom.
The "Set Fire to the Rain" singer rules the yearly list through her second studio album "21", which is nominated for Album of the Year at the upcoming 54th annual Grammy Awards. According to the Official Charts Company, the CD has, so far, sold a grand total of 3.4 million copies in the country alone.
Beside claiming the throne of the list, Adele also claims the second spot. She scores the second-biggest selling album of the year through her debut effort "19" which was released three years ago. Throughout the year of 2011, she has successfully pulled in 1.1 million copies of the old CD.
Bruno Mars follows at No. 3 with his debut album "Doo - Wops & Hooligans" which has sold around 980,000 copies. Rihanna and Lady GaGa round up the top 5 with "Loud" (812,000) and "Born This Way" (689,000) respectively.
Adele hasn't commented on her latest achievement, but she has already thanked fans for helping her land Grammy nods. She wrote, "[I] completely and utterly lost for words. A couple days after finally being able to talk again I'm pretty speechless. Thank you so much to the academy for nominating this record for 6 Grammys!!!"
"This has been the best year as it is but to end 2011 with this incredible achievement and honour is beyond anything I can express. Thank you to every single person who has taken a shining to this record, for making it have such an impact, this record has taken on a life of its own thanks to you. I made the record and you've made it what's its become."
Official Albums Chart 2011 - year to date:
- "21" - Adele (3.4 m)
- "19" - Adele (1.1 m)
- "Doo - Wops & Hooligans" - Bruno Mars (976,000)
- "Loud" - Rihanna (812,000)
- "Born This Way" - Lady GaGa (689,000)
- "Who You Are" - Jessie J (660,000)
- "Christmas" - Michael Buble (496,000)
- "The Lady Killer" - Cee-Lo Green (485,000)
- "Plus" - Ed Sheeran (477,000)
- "Mylo Xyloto" - Coldplay (467,000)
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle 'Looking to Buy a Place' in America
- Iggy Azalea Responds to Odell Beckham Jr. Dating Rumors: I Don't Even Know Him
- Will Kourtney Kardashian's New Boy Toy Younes Bendjima Replace Scott Disick on 'KUWTK'?
- Listen to Sia's Powerful Anthem 'To Be Human' From 'Wonder Woman' Soundtrack
- Queen Elizabeth Visits Victims of Manchester Attack in Hospital
- 'Wonder Woman' Women-Only Screening Enrages Male Fans
- T.I.'s Alleged Side Chick Bernice Burgos Reportedly Wants to Have Baby With Him
- Vampire Nicki Minaj Sexily Licks Bella Hadid's Neck at AmfAR Gala in Cannes