Singer David Peaston Dies From Complications of Diabetes
The world of R&B and soul music has lost yet another of its talents. David Peaston, the singer who was known for such singles as "Two Wrongs (Don't Make It Right)" and "Can I?", has died from complications from diabetes on Wednesday, February 1, the same day "Soul Train" founder Don Cornelius died of an apparent suicide.
News of Peaston's death was confirmed by his niece, Neuka Mitchell, on Thursday. The 54-year-old singer himself has been battling diabetes for years. He had both of his legs amputated below the knees, starting with his right leg in 2004. In an interview with Post-Dispatch, he said, "It was my fault for being sick, and I didn't want anybody to see me like that."
Peaston's friend, singer Cheryl Pepsii Riley, has taken to her Facebook to express her grief over the loss. "I'm so saddened by the news, my friend David Peaston has passed," she wrote. "This hurts so much. He had an Incredible Voice and the Best sense of Humor! David Peaston and I were the only secular artists doin Gospel plays in the beginning."
"I first met him on the show 'Momma Don't'. And then we did Several other shows together, So we became Road Dawgs! :-) We could not see each other for years and get together... and it be like we just saw each other the day before. Just picked up from where we left off. He was such a Beautiful person. So much Fun, and a Really Good Man!"
"Such a Talent, but even more than that, He was a Friend!" she continued on. "My Dear, Crazy, Wonderful, David...Or Unka Peasters as I called him... and he called me Tabby (from a show we did and I played his daughter), You Will Be Missed and I Shall NEVER EVER Forget You! RIP DAVID PEASTON, I Love You!"
Peaston, whose voice wowed the "Showtime at the Apollo" audiences in the late '80s, is the brother of "Rescue Me" singer Fontella Bass. His mother, Martha Bass, was a member of The Clara Ward Singers gospel group. He is survived by wife of 24 years, Marilyn, and two sons.
- Lisa Marie Presley's Kids in State Custody After Indecent Child Pics Found on Ex's Computer
- Samuel L. Jackson Hints at Nick Fury's Appearance in 'Captain Marvel'
- Aaron Carter Responds to Racism Accusation After Onstage Brawl
- Angelina Jolie Takes Her 6 Kids to Cambodia Amid Brad Pitt Divorce and Custody Drama
- Zoe Saldana Gives Birth to Baby No. 3 With Marco Perego
- Royal Showdown! Kate Middleton Reportedly Feuding With Meghan Markle
- Camila Cabello Is 'Dying' to Enlist Taylor Swift for Debut Solo Album
- Donald Glover to Play Simba in 'The Lion King' Remake