Katy Perry Breaks Record on Billboard Pop Songs Chart
Katy Perry might fall short of ruling Hot 100 and surpassing Michael Jackson's "Bad" record, but she has nailed a new feat elsewhere on Billboard chart. With her latest single "The One That Got Away" which spanned two official remixes, the West Coast singer scores her sixth No. 1 on Pop Songs chart from one album alone, "Teenage Dream".
By doing so, Perry breaks the record held by Justin Timberlake and Lady GaGa. The former NSYNC member and the Mother Monster placed four No. 1 singles each on the Pop Songs chart. Both Timberlake and GaGa owed it to their first albums "FutureSex/LoveSounds" and "The Fame" respectively.
Overall, Perry has yielded eight No. 1s on the Pop Songs throughout her career. In addition to the six single from 2010's "Teenage Dream", the estranged wife of Russell Brand has previously reigned the chart with "Hot N Cold" (2008) and "Waking Up in Vegas" (2009), which were taken from her debut album "One of the Boys".
With a total of eight Pop Songs toppers, Katy becomes an artist with the second-most No. 1 singles in the list's 19-year history. She's placed behind Rihanna who's leading with nine No. 1 singles. In the third place, there are GaGa, Pink and Britney Spears who scored seven chart toppers each.
Perry's applauded by Capitol Records bosses for her latest achievement. Executive VP Greg Thompson said, "[It's] tremendous recognition for one of the most talented artists in the world. We couldn't be happier for Katy." Senior VP Dennis Reese chimed in, "No artist has worked harder and deserves (the honor) more than Katy."
More Katy Perry News
- At Least Four People Shot During T.I.'s Concert in NY
- 'The Americans' to End After Two More Seasons
- The Weeknd Cancels Performance on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' Because of Donald Trump
- Kanye West Plays Matchmaker for Exes Khloe Kardashian and French Montana
- 'The Wolverine 3' Villains May Have Just Been Revealed
- Jennifer Aniston Mourning Her Mother Nancy Dow's Death
- Britney Spears Enlists G-Eazy for Her New Single 'Make Me'
- Gavin Rossdale Reportedly Hates Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton's Relationship