Adele Pulls Double Crown on Billboard Charts as Etta James Has Huge Jump
It's another quiet week on Billboard chart, but there are some interesting highlights. Adele, who easily secures the top spot on Billboard Hot 200, takes over the first position on Hot 100 from Rihanna. Also, there's late Etta James who causes a buzz as she has a massive jump on the album chart through one of her efforts.
Adele stays at the penthouse by selling 95,000 copies of her groundbreaking studio album "21". It marks her 17th non-consecutive week at the hot spot, surpassing the record held by "Titanic" soundtrack album. If she could reign for three more weeks, she will be tied with Whitney Houston who scored 20-week No. 1 run with "The Bodyguard" soundtrack.
On the Hot 100, Adele dethrones Riri with her third single "Set Fire to the Rain", preventing the Barbados singer to extend her run at No. 1 with Calvin Harris-featured single "We Found Love". It marks the British popstar's third No. 1 single from "21". She previously reigned the single chart with "Rolling in the Deep" and "Someone Like You".
Adele becomes the first solo artist to lead album chart concurrently with three Hot 100 No. 1s. When "21" was in its sixth week atop Hot 200 in May 2011, "Rolling in the Deep" started its seven-week Hot 100 reign. Four months later, the album returned to the top spot for a 13th reign at the same time "Someone Like You" took over the first place on Hot 100.
As for Etta James, the R&B/soul veteran, who passed away over the weekend, rises from No. 162 to No. 46 on Hot 200 with her effort, "The Best of Etta James - 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection". It sells 8,000 copies (up 149%), and becomes her highest-charting album ever. Overall, she has sold over 30,000 units (up 378%) with the entire catalog of her albums. On top of that, she gains 1,361% increase with her classic hit "At Last", which re-enters Digital Songs chart with 63,000 downloads.
Billboard Hot 200:
- "21" - Adele (95,000)
- "Kidz Bop" compilation - various artists (59,000)
- "El Camino" - The Black Keys (29,000)
- "Take Care" - Drake (29,000)
- "Talk That Talk" - Rihanna (20,000)
- "Thug Motivation 103: Hustlerz Ambition" - Young Jeezy (19,000)
- "Identity" - James Fortune & FIYA (18,000)
- "Clancy's Tavern" - Toby Keith (17,000)
- "Mylo Xyloto" - Coldplay (17,000)
- "Here and Now" - Nickelback (17,000)
More Adele News
- Khloe Kardashian Sparks Engagement Rumors After Spotted With Diamond Ring
- 'The Foreigner' Trailer: Jackie Chan Get Revenge on Pierce Brosnan
- Kourtney Kardashian and Younes Bendjima Call It Quits
- Alleged Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber Collab 'Steal Our Love' Leaks Online
- New Couple Alert? Katy Perry and Chris Martin Are Spotted Holding Hands
- Super Junior's Leeteuk Gets Robbed in Switzerland
- Kardashian-Jenner Sisters Throw Surprise Birthday Party for Khloe
- Evidence of Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo's Rendezvous in Bali Revealed