Breaking: Etta James Passed Away Surrounded by Family
After a series of health problems, singer Etta James took her last breath on Friday, January 20 morning at a hospital in Riverside, California, surrounded by her husband, Artis Mills, and her son. The legendary singer died from complications from leukemia and also suffered dementia and hepatitis C. She was 73.
"This is a tremendous loss for the family, her friends and fans around the world," her manager Lupe De Leon told CNN. "She was a true original who could sing it all - her music defied category. I worked with Etta for over 30 years. She was my friend and I will miss her always."
James is the powerful voice behind 1961's hit "At Last" which has become a wedding staple. Due to her declining health, she was forced to postpone a number of concerts in January 2010. Her battle against leukemia continued up until last year when she was admitted to hospital for blood infection sepsis and urinal infection.
- Netflix Is Back After Crash Following 'Luke Cage' Premiere
- Gigi Hadid Trips on Runway at Paris Fashion Week
- Mail Order Bride Comedy Canned by NBC After Getting Backlash
- Robin Williams' Widow Calls the Actor's Disease 'the Terrorist Inside My Husband's Brain'
- First Official Look at Emma Watson and Dan Stevens in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Keegan Allen Tweets His Phone Number
- Armie Hammer Accidentally Reveals Sex of His Unborn Baby
- Kelly Osbourne Settles Lawsuit With Dad Ozzy's Mistress