Breaking: Etta James Passed Away Surrounded by Family
After a series of health problems, singer Etta James took her last breath on Friday, January 20 morning at a hospital in Riverside, California, surrounded by her husband, Artis Mills, and her son. The legendary singer died from complications from leukemia and also suffered dementia and hepatitis C. She was 73.
"This is a tremendous loss for the family, her friends and fans around the world," her manager Lupe De Leon told CNN. "She was a true original who could sing it all - her music defied category. I worked with Etta for over 30 years. She was my friend and I will miss her always."
James is the powerful voice behind 1961's hit "At Last" which has become a wedding staple. Due to her declining health, she was forced to postpone a number of concerts in January 2010. Her battle against leukemia continued up until last year when she was admitted to hospital for blood infection sepsis and urinal infection.
- Fragile Yoko Ono Is Hoping to See John Lennon in Heaven
- Beyhive Is on the Hunt for Beyonce's Secret Snapchat Account
- Lionel Richie Puts 'All the Hits Tour' on Hold Due to Knee Surgery
- Did Justin Bieber Just Hint That He's Dating Someone on Twitter?
- Perrie Edwards Sparks Pregnancy Speculation With Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
- Cress Williams to Lead The CW's DC Superhero Series 'Black Lightning'
- Joe Carnahan Rumored to Direct 'X-Force', Ryan Reynolds to Co-Write the Movie
- Did Nicki Minaj Just Diss Lil' Kim in Gucci Mane Collaboration 'Make Love'?