Breaking: Etta James Passed Away Surrounded by Family
After a series of health problems, singer Etta James took her last breath on Friday, January 20 morning at a hospital in Riverside, California, surrounded by her husband, Artis Mills, and her son. The legendary singer died from complications from leukemia and also suffered dementia and hepatitis C. She was 73.
"This is a tremendous loss for the family, her friends and fans around the world," her manager Lupe De Leon told CNN. "She was a true original who could sing it all - her music defied category. I worked with Etta for over 30 years. She was my friend and I will miss her always."
James is the powerful voice behind 1961's hit "At Last" which has become a wedding staple. Due to her declining health, she was forced to postpone a number of concerts in January 2010. Her battle against leukemia continued up until last year when she was admitted to hospital for blood infection sepsis and urinal infection.
- 'The Predator' Release Date Pushed Back
- 'Deadpool 2' and 'New Mutants' Get Release Dates
- Video: Kylie Jenner Holding Hands With Travis Scott
- 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' and Release Date Officially Announced
- Jay-Z Renews Deal With Live Nation
- 'Avatar' Sequels Release Dates Unveiled
- Kourtney Kardashian Goes Undercover as News Reporter and Nobody Recognizes Her
- Carmelo and La La Anthony Put on United Front for Sake of Their Son