Breaking: Etta James Passed Away Surrounded by Family
After a series of health problems, singer Etta James took her last breath on Friday, January 20 morning at a hospital in Riverside, California, surrounded by her husband, Artis Mills, and her son. The legendary singer died from complications from leukemia and also suffered dementia and hepatitis C. She was 73.
"This is a tremendous loss for the family, her friends and fans around the world," her manager Lupe De Leon told CNN. "She was a true original who could sing it all - her music defied category. I worked with Etta for over 30 years. She was my friend and I will miss her always."
James is the powerful voice behind 1961's hit "At Last" which has become a wedding staple. Due to her declining health, she was forced to postpone a number of concerts in January 2010. Her battle against leukemia continued up until last year when she was admitted to hospital for blood infection sepsis and urinal infection.
- Listen to Jason Derulo's New Single 'Kiss the Sky' Off His 'Platinum Hits' Album
- Hayes Grier Shares Photo From Hospital, Assures Fans He's 'Good' After Dirt Bike Crash
- Constance Wu Slams 'Great Wall' for Whitewashing: Our Heroes Don't Look Like Matt Damon
- Zachary Quinto Addresses Engagement Speculations and Wedding Plans to Miles McMillan
- Justin Bieber Teases 'Cold Water' Video as the Major Lazer Collab Hits No. 1 on U.K. Chart
- See Tyler Hoechlin's Superman in Action in 'Supergirl' Set Videos
- Did Tyler Posey Just Come Out as Gay on Snapchat?
- Fans Defend Malia Obama Amidst Backlash for Attending Lollapalooza Instead of DNC