Breaking: Etta James Passed Away Surrounded by Family
After a series of health problems, singer Etta James took her last breath on Friday, January 20 morning at a hospital in Riverside, California, surrounded by her husband, Artis Mills, and her son. The legendary singer died from complications from leukemia and also suffered dementia and hepatitis C. She was 73.
"This is a tremendous loss for the family, her friends and fans around the world," her manager Lupe De Leon told CNN. "She was a true original who could sing it all - her music defied category. I worked with Etta for over 30 years. She was my friend and I will miss her always."
James is the powerful voice behind 1961's hit "At Last" which has become a wedding staple. Due to her declining health, she was forced to postpone a number of concerts in January 2010. Her battle against leukemia continued up until last year when she was admitted to hospital for blood infection sepsis and urinal infection.
- Lady Antebellum Will Make You Dance With Their Cover of JT's 'Can't Stop the Feeling!'
- 'Tallulah' Trailer: Ellen Page and Allison Janney Raise a Kidnapped Child
- 'Lost in Space' Reboot Ordered to Series by Netflix
- Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna's Baby's Sex Reportedly Revealed. A Boy or a Girl?
- Rihanna Previews 'Sledgehammer' Video Before Premiering It in Full in IMAX
- Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban's Surrogacy Plan for Baby No. 3 Opposed by Their Church
- Hard Work Pays Off! Kourtney Kardashian Displays Her Rock-Hard Abs in Sexy Bikini
- Jessica Williams Is Leaving 'The Daily Show' to Headline New Comedy Series