George Clooney to Direct and Star in 'Monuments Men' About Nazi-Stolen WWII Art
After directing "The Ides of March", George Clooney has signed on to helm another political drama for his next project. The actor, who has just been honored with Chairman's Award at the 2012 Palm Springs Film Festival Awards, is currently busy working on a big-budget political movie called "The Monuments Men".
Based on Robert M. Edsel's book "The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History", the film will follow a group of art experts chosen by the U.S. government to find artwork stolen by the Nazis during the World War II era. Clooney will not only direct it, but he will also star in and serve as the co-writer along with Grant Heslov.
Speaking of his forthcoming movie project, the actor playing Matt King in critically acclaimed dramedy "The Descendants" told TheWrap, "I'm excited about it." He shared, "It's a fun movie because it could be big entertainment. It's a big budget, you can't do it small, it's landing in Normandy."
The 50-year-old thesp elaborated furthermore, "Grant and I have been trying to find a project. I'm not opposed to doing a commercial film, I'm just opposed to doing a commercial film that doesn't feel organic to me." He added, "So if we're going to do a commercial film we thought, 'Let's do something that seems fun and actually have something to say'."
Clooney and his producing partner Heslov have previously made some political or socially-oriented movies. Aside from "The Ides of March", the two co-produced 2005's "Good Night And Good Luck" which tells a story about the fight for the freedom of the press, and 2009's war film "The Men Who Stare at Goats".
The Kentucky-born actor will next be seen starring opposite Sandra Bullock in sci-fi thriller "Gravity" directed by Alfonso Cuaron. He additionally produces "Argo", an upcoming Iran crisis film directed by Ben Affleck.
- Bella Hadid and Justin Bieber Accuse Selena Gomez of Using The Weeknd for Promotion
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Toys Reveal First Look at Kurt Russell's Ego
- Will Kanye West Perform at Pal Donald Trump's Inauguration?
- Fergie Who? Nicole Scherzinger to Replace the Singer in Black Eyed Peas
- Tupac Shakur Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Is Set to Be Released in Summer
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Rumors After Seen Shopping Together
- Ariana Grande Criticized for Claiming She's the 'Hardest Working 23-Year-Old' on Earth
- Lady GaGa Teases Super Bowl Performance in New Behind-the-Scenes Video