George Clooney to Direct and Star in 'Monuments Men' About Nazi-Stolen WWII Art
After directing "The Ides of March", George Clooney has signed on to helm another political drama for his next project. The actor, who has just been honored with Chairman's Award at the 2012 Palm Springs Film Festival Awards, is currently busy working on a big-budget political movie called "The Monuments Men".
Based on Robert M. Edsel's book "The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History", the film will follow a group of art experts chosen by the U.S. government to find artwork stolen by the Nazis during the World War II era. Clooney will not only direct it, but he will also star in and serve as the co-writer along with Grant Heslov.
Speaking of his forthcoming movie project, the actor playing Matt King in critically acclaimed dramedy "The Descendants" told TheWrap, "I'm excited about it." He shared, "It's a fun movie because it could be big entertainment. It's a big budget, you can't do it small, it's landing in Normandy."
The 50-year-old thesp elaborated furthermore, "Grant and I have been trying to find a project. I'm not opposed to doing a commercial film, I'm just opposed to doing a commercial film that doesn't feel organic to me." He added, "So if we're going to do a commercial film we thought, 'Let's do something that seems fun and actually have something to say'."
Clooney and his producing partner Heslov have previously made some political or socially-oriented movies. Aside from "The Ides of March", the two co-produced 2005's "Good Night And Good Luck" which tells a story about the fight for the freedom of the press, and 2009's war film "The Men Who Stare at Goats".
The Kentucky-born actor will next be seen starring opposite Sandra Bullock in sci-fi thriller "Gravity" directed by Alfonso Cuaron. He additionally produces "Argo", an upcoming Iran crisis film directed by Ben Affleck.
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner Exchange Sweet Gaze While Leaving Church Amid Reconciliation Rumors
- Kourtney Kardashian Slammed by Haters for Sharing 'Materialistic' Photos of Her Kids
- Surprise! Justin Bieber and Zayn Malik Are Planning a Collaboration
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' May Flash Back to World War II
- Blac Chyna Stuns in New Topless Picture. See Her Enviable Post-Baby Body
- Watch Lady GaGa and Stevie Wonder's Performances at Elton John's 70th Star-Studded Birthday Party
- Brad Pitt Is Ready to Mend His Relationship With Angelina Jolie for the Sake of Their Kids
- Cyborg's Story Is the Heart of 'Justice League', Says Zack Snyder