'So You Think You Can Dance' to Get New Format Following Results Show's Axing
The New Year brings a new change for "So You Think You Can Dance". Nigel Lythgoe, the executive producer and judge for the dance competition show, has just revealed that fans will have to wait a week before finding out who's been cut off from the competition in the new season since FOX axed the results show.
"#FOX have cancelled the results show so I will have to change the format of #SYTYCD," the 62-year-old broke the news through his Twitter account on Sunday, January 1. Remaining positive, he noted that the axing doesn't mean the end to the competition show as writing in the same tweet, "At least we have another season at the end of MAY."
"Don't worry #SYTYCD fans. I'm thrilled we have a new series. We'll do our best to find some great talent starting next week in Atlanta," Lythgoe assured fans in a following tweet. He added in another, "I'm certainly not mad at FOX they have supported #SYTYCD FOR 9 seasons. With the help of Mike Darnell I think we have some great new ideas."
On Monday, January 2, the "American Idol" executive producer thanked fans for their "wonderful support". Still, he did point out the one downside of the results show's cancellation. "In order to continue America's vote, results would have to be given the following week," he tweeted.
The axing of "SYTYCD" result show came after season 8 finale drew just over 6 million total viewers and a 2.1 demo rating, which was down 13 percent year-over-year. The show itself has undergone changes previously. The number of finalists was cut from 20 to 10 starting season 7, with contestants being paired to stars from past seasons. Season 9 is scheduled to air in the summer of 2012.
- Lee Sung Kyung and Nam Joo Hyuk Are Reportedly Dating
- Jenna Dewan Reportedly Joins Channing Tatum at 'Magic Mike Live' Premiere Due to Trust Issues
- Watch Preview of Ty Dolla $ign and Lil Yachty's Collaboration for 'Beach House 3'
- George and Amal Clooney Reportedly to Spend Over $1 M on a Royal-Like Delivery Experience
- 'Delusional' Drake Is Still Not Over Rihanna, but She Won't Give Him Another Chance
- Perrie Edwards Celebrates Footballer Beau Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's Win With a Dance
- Kris Jenner Reportedly Planning New Reality Show Featuring Her Grandkids
- Sara Sampaio Exposes Nipples in See-Through Bustier