Matt Hammitt Wishes to Empower Others by Sharing Family Struggle in Album
Matt Hammitt has shared story behind his solo album "Every Falling Tear" in hopes to spread strength to people who are struggling during the hardest of times like he and his family once went through. To the Associated Press, he said that the album is a story about his unborn son who "had only half a heart and little chance to survive."
The lead singer of Grammy-nominated Sanctus Real initially wrote the songs to console his family while they tried to understand that the pain they suffered "has a purpose." He, however, soon realized many people out there dealt with the same ordeal, so he shared what he was feeling during those tough moments in an album to let them know that they're not alone.
"That's the biggest part of sharing our story," Matt said. "That there is a purpose." Talking about the "storywriting" process, he added, "I began writing about all that I was learning about struggle and faith. ... I wanted to write songs that would speak him someday about how much his father loved him no matter how long or short his life would be."
Matt and his wife, Sarah, found out something was wrong with their unborn baby when they saw the sorrow on their doctor's face during an ultrasound checkup. It broke their hearts when the doctor told them the baby had a rare congenital heart defect called hypoplastic left heart syndrome. They then "contemplated all of the possible procedures and treatments while weighing the odds of what could go wrong."
The baby, named Bowen Matthew Hammitt, was later born in September 2010, and the weeks that followed were filled with surgeries and life-threatening complications. In order to ease the pain they knew the baby was suffering, they played demos of the songs to the tot. "They felt it was good for all the babies to be soothed," Sarah said before adding, "so Bowen could hear his dad's voice."
- Calvin Harris Won't Date Another Celebrity Thanks to 'Narcissist' Taylor Swift
- Fans Petition 'Star Wars' to Include First Gay Character to Honor Orlando Victims
- Get to Know More About 'The Walking Dead' Villain Negan! His Backstory Is Revealed in Comics
- Rihanna Shares 'Saucy' Video of Her Crotch
- Paris Hilton Likes a Shady Meme to Remind Kanye West She Made Kim Kardashian Famous
- Dwayne Johnson Shares New Picture From 'Fast and Furious 8' Set
- Calvin Harris Also Moves On - The DJ Is Surrounded by Sexy Ladies on a Yacht
- Video: Prince Harry Joins Coldplay Onstage During Kensington Palace Concert