Matt Hammitt Wishes to Empower Others by Sharing Family Struggle in Album
Matt Hammitt has shared story behind his solo album "Every Falling Tear" in hopes to spread strength to people who are struggling during the hardest of times like he and his family once went through. To the Associated Press, he said that the album is a story about his unborn son who "had only half a heart and little chance to survive."
The lead singer of Grammy-nominated Sanctus Real initially wrote the songs to console his family while they tried to understand that the pain they suffered "has a purpose." He, however, soon realized many people out there dealt with the same ordeal, so he shared what he was feeling during those tough moments in an album to let them know that they're not alone.
"That's the biggest part of sharing our story," Matt said. "That there is a purpose." Talking about the "storywriting" process, he added, "I began writing about all that I was learning about struggle and faith. ... I wanted to write songs that would speak him someday about how much his father loved him no matter how long or short his life would be."
Matt and his wife, Sarah, found out something was wrong with their unborn baby when they saw the sorrow on their doctor's face during an ultrasound checkup. It broke their hearts when the doctor told them the baby had a rare congenital heart defect called hypoplastic left heart syndrome. They then "contemplated all of the possible procedures and treatments while weighing the odds of what could go wrong."
The baby, named Bowen Matthew Hammitt, was later born in September 2010, and the weeks that followed were filled with surgeries and life-threatening complications. In order to ease the pain they knew the baby was suffering, they played demos of the songs to the tot. "They felt it was good for all the babies to be soothed," Sarah said before adding, "so Bowen could hear his dad's voice."
- Amber Rose Is Joining Secret Online Dating App
- 'Annabelle' Sequel Gets New Title
- Kim Kardashian Doesn't Want Her Daughter North West to Be Managed by Kris Jenner
- Anne Hathaway's Dress at 'Colossal' Premiere Is So Awkward She Couldn't Sit in It
- Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye May Appear in 'Ant-Man and the Wasp'
- Blac Chyna Believes That Rob Kardashian and Tyga Are Tag Teaming Against Her
- Saucy! Rita Ora Goes Braless as She Flashes Her Nipple Pasties in Sheer Top
- Little Mix Channels Inner Cowgirls in Music Video for 'No More Sad Songs' Ft. Machine Gun Kelly