Jose Padilha Promises Plenty of Aggressive Satire in 'RoboCop' Remake
Jose Padilha's "RoboCop" will not only be jam-packed by action scenes, but also offer plenty of social satirical commentaries. In an interview with The Telegraph, the Brazilian director shared his belief about the need to add aggressive satire within the upcoming remake movie.
"The satire element of 'RoboCop' is, I think, needed today," he explained. "That kind of social, aggressive satire I haven't seen done well in movies lately. And it's almost like the politics and violence in the world is asking for this: 'Someone please make some satire now!' So we're going to keep that edge."
The "Elite Squad" director admitted that he isn't too worried the satire will be misunderstood. "I just don't think about it. If people want to misunderstand it, it's their problem," he said. "This is something that happened with films throughout history. 'Elite Squad' became one of those. 'Taxi Driver' is famous for that kind of misunderstanding."
"But, as a filmmaker, I don't feel like constraining artistic expression by second guessing an audience," he continued on explaining. "I have to be clear with myself and very conscious of what I am trying to say. Misunderstandings will always take place: it's unavoidable."
"RoboCop" was first introduced to Hollywood by director Paul Verhoeven in 1987. The story follows a cop who is brought back from the brink of death in the form of a cyborg with no memories of his prior life. The new remake will be written by Josh Zetumer with Michael Fassbender being long-rumored as strong candidate for the lead role.
- Another Dig at Zayn Malik? Listen to Little Mix's Catchy New Track 'You Gotta Not'
- Cuteness Overload! Chrissy Teigen Dresses Daughter Luna as Banana, Minnie Mouse and Others
- Daisy Ridley Responds to 'Sexist' Claims That Rey Is Mary Sue in 'The Force Awakens'
- Amber Heard Reportedly Dating a Musician After Johnny Depp Split. Who's Her New Man?
- NBC Announces Next Live Musical 'Bye Bye Birdie' Starring Jennifer Lopez
- Iggy Azalea's Former Fiance Nick Young Welcomes Baby No. 2 With His Other Ex
- Felicity Jones Leads the Rebel Alliance in New 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' Pic
- Is Mariah Carey's 'Close Relationship' With a Male Dancer to Blame for James Packer Split?