Giuliana Rancic Plans to Recover From Masectomy by New Year's Eve
Giuliana Rancic announced on "Today" on Monday, December 5 that she will undergo a double masectomy to eradicate her breast cancer. The E! host, who was accompanied by husband Bill Rancic on the show, said she is hoping to recover by the time the year ends.
Revealing the diagnosis in October, Giuliana had treated the disease with lumpectomies and radiation previously but both attempts failed. She has now chosen a more aggressive treatment which gives the cancer only 1 percent chance to return. "For me, it was important to get the cancer out. That's what I wanted to do, just get it out," she said.
Speaking of the procedure itself, Giuliana said, "First, I would like to take the stigma away. 'Mastectomy' the word seemed so scary to me at first. After doing research and seeing the advancements, the surgery has come a long way from 20 years ago. The results can be incredible."
The couple also desire to have children and the previous treatment could delay their plan for several years. "At the end, to be honest, all it came down to was just choosing to live, and not looking over my shoulder for the rest of my life," she added.
The 37-year-old has seen "top doctors, radiologists, women who've had mastectomies and women who've opted for alternative treatments, like lumpectomies, radiation and anti-estrogen therapy." She said, "I couldn't be more at peace with the decision. But it's hard, and I still break down some nights ... But I'm okay."
Giuliana also thanked everyone for the well-wishes but her biggest supporter was in the end her husband. "Bill said to me, 'I just need you around for the next 50 years, kid,' " she said. "He said, 'I don't care what you look like, I don't care about the physical portion of this. I just need you around for the next 50 years. So, let's just get you healthy.' And that certainly helped me come to a decision."
The surgery is scheduled for next week. "I hope for a full recovery by New Year's Eve. We're planning to be in Times Square!" she said.
- Kylie Jenner Wraps Her Body With Real Snake in Sneak Peek of Sexy 2017 Calendar
- Lady GaGa Shares Kindness With the Help of Taylor Kinney and Her Mom
- Shia LaBeouf Unleashes New Freestyle in Response to Soulja Boy's Threats
- Nicki Minaj Gets Heavily Criticized for Making Fun of Mentally Ill Woman
- 'The Mummy' Director on Whether Tom Cruise's Character Dies in the First Trailer
- 'Westworld' Showrunners Address Evil Dolores and Ford's Fate
- Justin Bieber Announces 2017 U.S. Stadium Tour Dates
- Blac Chyna Seems to Diss Kylie Jenner and Tyga on Snapchat. Is This Khloe's Response?