Giuliana Rancic Plans to Recover From Masectomy by New Year's Eve
Giuliana Rancic announced on "Today" on Monday, December 5 that she will undergo a double masectomy to eradicate her breast cancer. The E! host, who was accompanied by husband Bill Rancic on the show, said she is hoping to recover by the time the year ends.
Revealing the diagnosis in October, Giuliana had treated the disease with lumpectomies and radiation previously but both attempts failed. She has now chosen a more aggressive treatment which gives the cancer only 1 percent chance to return. "For me, it was important to get the cancer out. That's what I wanted to do, just get it out," she said.
Speaking of the procedure itself, Giuliana said, "First, I would like to take the stigma away. 'Mastectomy' the word seemed so scary to me at first. After doing research and seeing the advancements, the surgery has come a long way from 20 years ago. The results can be incredible."
The couple also desire to have children and the previous treatment could delay their plan for several years. "At the end, to be honest, all it came down to was just choosing to live, and not looking over my shoulder for the rest of my life," she added.
The 37-year-old has seen "top doctors, radiologists, women who've had mastectomies and women who've opted for alternative treatments, like lumpectomies, radiation and anti-estrogen therapy." She said, "I couldn't be more at peace with the decision. But it's hard, and I still break down some nights ... But I'm okay."
Giuliana also thanked everyone for the well-wishes but her biggest supporter was in the end her husband. "Bill said to me, 'I just need you around for the next 50 years, kid,' " she said. "He said, 'I don't care what you look like, I don't care about the physical portion of this. I just need you around for the next 50 years. So, let's just get you healthy.' And that certainly helped me come to a decision."
The surgery is scheduled for next week. "I hope for a full recovery by New Year's Eve. We're planning to be in Times Square!" she said.
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors
- Julia Roberts to Play PTA Mom Framed for Drug Possession in True-Story Movie
- Pippa Middleton's Private Photos Stolen After Her iCloud Got Hacked