Amy Winehouse's 'Back to Black' Dress Sold for Over $67,000 at Auction
A dress worn by the late Amy Winehouse on the cover of her hit album "Back to Black" has brought big money at auction. According to Kerry Taylor Auctions in London, the white and red polka-dot chiffon dress was purchased by the Fundacion Museo de la Moda, a fashion museum in Santiago, Chile, for over $67,000.
Present at the Tuesday, November 29 auction in central London, Amy's father Mitch told CBS News that Disaya, the Thailand-based designer of the dress, has agreed to donate proceeds from the sale to Amy Winehouse Foundation. "We are just over the moon and this is a wonderful start to the foundation," he said.
Of the dress, auctioneer Kerry Taylor previously said, "In my opinion, what makes this particular dress so special, is that it is an emblematic reminder of the magic voice and sublime talent of Amy Winehouse - a sound that resonates with an entire generation and always will." Other items also sold at the auction were dresses worn by Elizabeth Taylor and Audrey Hepburn.
Amy was found dead at the age of 27 in her Camden, north London home on July 23. Preliminary toxicology reports confirmed there were no illegal substances found in her system at the time of death, but indicated that alcohol was present. Three months after her sudden passing, British coroner ruled that she died of accidental alcohol poisoning.
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef
- Is He Sorry? Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie Ahead of Her 18th Birthday
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Ryan Lochte's Robbery Claims, Spoofs His Interview With Matt Lauer
- Watch Helen Mirren Perfectly Handle a Sexist Interviewer 40 Years Ago
- Early Concept Art of 'Captain America: Civil War' Sees Ant-Man Fighting the Cap
- James Harden's Signature Shoes Are So Bad That People Make Fun of Them. Read the Funny Ones