Amy Winehouse's 'Back to Black' Dress Sold for Over $67,000 at Auction
A dress worn by the late Amy Winehouse on the cover of her hit album "Back to Black" has brought big money at auction. According to Kerry Taylor Auctions in London, the white and red polka-dot chiffon dress was purchased by the Fundacion Museo de la Moda, a fashion museum in Santiago, Chile, for over $67,000.
Present at the Tuesday, November 29 auction in central London, Amy's father Mitch told CBS News that Disaya, the Thailand-based designer of the dress, has agreed to donate proceeds from the sale to Amy Winehouse Foundation. "We are just over the moon and this is a wonderful start to the foundation," he said.
Of the dress, auctioneer Kerry Taylor previously said, "In my opinion, what makes this particular dress so special, is that it is an emblematic reminder of the magic voice and sublime talent of Amy Winehouse - a sound that resonates with an entire generation and always will." Other items also sold at the auction were dresses worn by Elizabeth Taylor and Audrey Hepburn.
Amy was found dead at the age of 27 in her Camden, north London home on July 23. Preliminary toxicology reports confirmed there were no illegal substances found in her system at the time of death, but indicated that alcohol was present. Three months after her sudden passing, British coroner ruled that she died of accidental alcohol poisoning.
- Did Faith Evans Just Expose Her Vagina in Front of the Crowd? See the Evidence!
- 'Magnificent Seven' Debuts Strong on Domestic Box Office, 'Bridget Jones's Baby' Tops Overseas
- Josh Brolin Ties the Knot With Longtime Girlfriend Kathryn Boyd. See the Photos
- Drake's 'Views' Returns to No. 1 on Billboard 200 for 13th Week
- Idina Menzel Debuts Engagement Ring From Fiance Aaron Lohr at iHeartRadio Music Festival
- Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux Hold Hands in NYC Following Split Rumors
- Backstreet Boys Joins Florida Georgia Line at iHeartRadio Music Festival. Plus Other Performances!
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump