Robin Gibb Undergoes Emergency Surgery After Being Told He Has an Hour to Live
Robin Gibb is opening up about the emergency surgery he said he had months before he was diagnosed with liver cancer. In an interview with Daily Mail, the one-third of the Bee Gees revealed that when meeting a specialist about recurring stomach cramps, he was told he'd got one hour if he didn't undergo immediate surgery.
Recalling his reaction at the time, the 61-year-old said, "I told the surgeon, 'Hang on, I've only got cramp.' But he said I'd actually got an intestinal blockage and it could be about to burst. The way he put it to me was blunt: 'The only way out for you, pal, is through the operating theater.' " He went on to admit, "I was petrified. I'd never been in hospital before."
Although he finally had the operation "there and then", the pop singer noted the positive, "After three days felt a lot better." During the interview taking place at his Oxfordshire home, he added, "All this time I'd thought it was wind cramps. But the surgeon said that was typical of the way it manifests."
"The blockage was so bad that he was surprised it hadn't burst the day before, but it was too dangerous to delay any longer," he continued on explaining. "The relief was enormous, and afterwards I needed no painkillers. Not even an aspirin. I have a vegetarian diet, and a great appetite. Everything seemed to go back to normal."
News of Robin battling liver cancer made headlines after a recent hospital stay for abdominal pain and an inflamed colon. The twin brother of Maurice Gibb has since thanked his fans for their support. "I wish to thank my family, friends and the many thousands of people who do not know me but have enjoyed Bee Gees music and have wished me well," he wrote on his blog.
"It is humbling and I take your prayers and good wishes for my health very seriously," he went on to express his gratitude. "I have been very unwell and am now on the road to recovery, and your prayers and wishes are a great tonic to me. I believe because of you I will get well and my deepest love goes out to you all."
- Tom Holland Enrolled in High School Under Fake Name for 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen
- Kanye West Sports Wedding Ring While Riding BMX Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Watch Hailee Steinfeld, Fifth Harmony and More Perform at the 2016 Billboard Women in Music
- Reese Witherspoon Teams Up With Nick Kroll for EDM Rendition of 'Shake It Off'
- 'Puff the Magic Dragon' Gets Live-Action/Animated Hybrid Movie