Garrett Hedlund Formally Offered Lead Role in 'Akira', Keira Knightley May Also Star
Garrett Hedlund is officially in negotiation to tackle the lead role in "Akira". According to Variety, Warner Bros. Pictures has made a formal offer to the "Tron Legacy" actor to take the part of Kaneda in the film adaptation of a Japanese manga by Katsuhiro Otomo.
Back in October, it was reported that 27-year-old Hedlund was the front-runner for the project, which will be directed by Jaume Collet-Serra. At that time, no financial offer was made to him because the film's budget had not been approved.
While Hedlund is close to play the lead character, Warners is still looking for more actors to star in the film. The Hollywood Reporter reported that Keira Knightley has been approached to join the project, but her role is still unspecified.
It has been reported that "Harry Potter" stars Gary Oldman and Helena Bonham Carter were also offered roles in "Akira". Oldman has been eyed to tackle the role of The Colonel, while Bonham Carter has been considered to play Lady Miyako.
The story of "Akira" follows Kaneda, a leader of motorcycle gang known as "The Capsules", who must save his best friend from being a medical experiment of the government. Back in 2008, Warners obtained the rights to "Akira" for a seven-figure deal from Kodansha. The development of this project, however, has been long-delayed due to budgetary issue.
Leonardo DiCaprio will produce the upcoming cyberpunk sci-fi film along with Jennifer Davisson Killoran and Andrew Lazar. Meanwhile, the screenwriter of the "Harry Potter" film series, Steve Kloves, will serve as the screenwriter.
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance