Coldplay Win Race to No. 1 on Hot 200 Against Kelly Clarkson
Coldplay land at No.1 on Billboard Hot 200 with their latest effort "Mylo Xyloto" which pulls in 447,000 copies in its opening week. The British band fronted by Chris Martin win the race to the penthouse of the weekly rundown against Kelly Clarkson. The former "American Idol" winner debuts at No. 2 with her newly-released album "Stronger" (163,000).
Talking about the stiff competition this week, Kelly once commented to MTV News, "...People were like, 'Oh my God, are you kidding? Coldplay is going to kill you!' I don't care if they kill me. .. It's more like, how many people are going to buy their album, and then my album is right there, 'cause it's out too." She added, "I always think competition is healthy."
Coldplay score the third largest sales week of the year, standing behind Lady GaGa who holds the first biggest debut sales week with "Born This Way" (1.1 million) and Lil Wayne who is ranked the second with "Tha Carter IV" (964,000). They also earn the biggest week for a rock act since U2 opened 484,000 with their 2009's "No Line On the Horizon".
Featuring Rihanna, "Mylo Xyloto" is Coldplay's fifth studio album and third chart topper. The band previously hit the top spot on the U.S. album chart in 2008 with "Viva La Vida" and in 2005 with "X&Y". Back then, they claimed the first position by raking a grand total of 721,000 and 737,000 copies respectively.
The other new entries of this week are Michael Buble who rounds up the top 3 with his latest "Christmas" collection (141,000), Toby Keith who enters at No. 5 with his "Clancy's Tavern" (69,000), and Tom Waits who trails closely behind him at No. 6 with "Bad as Me (63,000).
The rest of the chart are filled with such holdovers as Adele's "21 at No. 4, Scotty McCreery's "Clear as Day" at No. 7, Lady Antebellum's "Own the Night" at No. 8, Tony Bennett's "Duets II" at No. 9, and last week's champ Casting Crowns's "Come to the Well at No. 10.
- Coldplay - "Mylo Xyloto" (447,000)
- Kelly Clarkson - "Stronger" (163,000)
- Michael Buble - "Christmas" (141,000)
- Adele - "21" (107,000)
- Toby Keith - "Clancy's Tavern" (69,000)
- Tom Waits - "Bad as Me (63,000)
- Scotty McCreery - "Clear as Day" (42,000)
- Lady Antebellum - "Own the Night" (31,000)
- Tony Bennett - "Tony Bennett: Duets II" (31,000)
- Casting Crowns - "Come to the Well (30,000)
More Coldplay News
- Get New Details of Kristen Stewart and Alicia Cargile's Upcoming Nuptials
- Britney Spears on Performing at 2017 Super Bowl Halftime Show: 'I Would' Do That Again!
- Amanda Bynes Returns to Twitter, Updates Fans About Her School Life
- Courteney Cox Regrets Having Plastic Surgery
- 'Jack Ryan' Series to Tackle ISIS in Season 1, John Krasinski Reveals
- Jennifer Lopez and Casper Smart Break Up Again!
- 'Nashville' Season 5 Gets Premiere Date at CMT
- Doug Liman Abandons 'Gambit' Movie, Will Now Direct 'Justice League Dark'