Johnny Depp Angers Advocacy Group for Comparing Photo Shoots to Being Raped
Johnny Depp has raised eyebrows with his recent comment about photo shoots. In the November issue of Vanity Fair, the "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" star compared being photographed to being raped. His statement quickly drew reaction from anti-sexual violence organization, the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN).
"While photos may feel at times intrusive, being photographed in no way compares to rape - a violent crime which affects another American every 2 minutes," Katherine Hull, a spokesperson for RAINN, told the press. "RAINN welcomes the opportunity to speak with Mr. Depp and educate him about the real life experiences faced by survivors every day, and ways that he can work with RAINN to help."
Johnny made the comparison to give an illustration why he despises photo shoots. "You just feel like you're being raped somehow," he told the magazine. "Raped. The whole thing. It feels like a kind of weird - just weird, man.... Whenever you have a photo shoot or something like that, it's like - you just feel dumb. It's just so stupid."
The 48-year-old actor isn't the first Hollywood star who landed on hot water for making similar comparison. In 2010, "Twilight Saga" beauty Kristen Stewart angered RAINN when she compared the constant hounding by the paparazzi which follows her fame to being raped.
After facing backlash from the advocacy group for the statement, the "On the Road" actress issued an apology. "I really made an enormous mistake - clearly and obviously," she said. "And I'm really sorry about my choice of words. ... 'Violated' definitely would have been a better way of expressing the thought."
More Johnny Depp News
- Netflix Debuts First Trailer for Its Ambitious Royal Drama 'The Crown'
- Did Gigi Hadid Throw Shade at Harry Styles With This Photo of Zayn Malik?
- 'This Is Us' Stars on Latest Twist: 'I'm Rooting for Jack and Rebecca'
- Watch Justin Timberlake Amaze Las Vegas Crowd in First Full Trailer for Netflix Concert Doc
- Gwyneth Paltrow Shares Makeup-Free Selfie to Celebrate 44th Birthday
- Nashville Crowd Helps Kanye West Diss Taylor Swift
- 'Modern Family' to Make History by Casting Transgender Child Actor
- New 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Set Pic Sees Tom Holland Suiting Up as the Webslinger in Queens