Chris Hemsworth's Long-Delayed 'Red Dawn' Remake Set for 2012 Release
After being long-delayed, remake movie "Red Dawn" finally gets a studio that would release it in U.S. theaters. Los Angeles Times reported that FilmDistrict is currently finalizing a deal with MGM to take over the distribution rights of the war film starring "Thor" actor Chris Hemsworth and plan to release it in 2012.
The original "Red Dawn" was released in 1984, starring Patrick Swayze, Charlie Sheen, Lea Thompson and Jennifer Grey. The story centers on some teenagers in Washington who fight against invading Soviet forces. In the new version, meanwhile, the invaders were changed to Chinese.
MGM was the original studio that developed the remake. The company, however, dealt with bankruptcy in 2009 and decided not to release the film. Since then, no other studios showed interest in taking over the movie in fear of offending the Chinese government.
In their attempt to attract interest, the producers edited the movie and changed the invaders to North Koreans last winter. Despite the change, they still can't find any company that is willing to distribute the film before they finally sealed a deal with FilmDistrict. Regarding the issue, Peter Schlessel, Chief Executive of the studio, declined to comment.
"Red Dawn" reportedly cost around $60 million. Directed by Dan Bradley, the remake movie also stars Josh Peck, Adrianne Palicki, Josh Hutcherson and Isabel Lucas.
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen
- Kanye West Sports Wedding Ring While Riding BMX Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Watch Hailee Steinfeld, Fifth Harmony and More Perform at the 2016 Billboard Women in Music
- Reese Witherspoon Teams Up With Nick Kroll for EDM Rendition of 'Shake It Off'
- 'Puff the Magic Dragon' Gets Live-Action/Animated Hybrid Movie
- Mila Kunis Shows Impressive Post-Baby Body After Giving Birth to Son Dimitri