Madonna Glams Up in Vintage Look at 'W.E.' Venice Premiere
Madonna stole the attention with her fabulous look at the premiere of her film "W.E." at the Venice Film Festival on Thursday, September 1. The pop diva made a grand entrance to a standing ovation at the Sala Grande (Palazzo del Cinema) before striking a pose on the red carpet.
Rocking an eye-catching red-framed vintage sunglasses, Madonna finished off her look with a tailed dress and shoes by Vionnet, while her blond hair was pinned to the side. On the red carpet, the singer who serves behind the lens for the movie was joined by lead actress Abbie Cornish, who looked gorgeous in a deep purple Atelier Versace gown.
Talking about the idea of her film whose tickets were sold out immediately, Madonna told a small group of reporters, "I think once you become famous, you have to pretty much relinquish the idea that people are going to see you for who you are, or look beyond the surface of things."
"I think that was a source of great frustration for Wallis Simpson and for Edward VIII, because after he abdicated, they didn't really have the opportunity to defend themselves," she added. "So hopefully, I have been able to do that for Wallis Simpson through my film."
Also supporting the red carpet event were other cast members Natalie Dormer and Andrea Riseborough. Dormer brought colors on the red carpet from her spaghetti strap mini dress, while Riseborough looked pretty in her pastel-colored gown. Meanwhile, the male stars, James D'Arcy and Oscar Isaac, attended the event in their sleek suits.
"W.E.", which marks Madonna's second directorial duty after 2008's "Filth and Wisdom", was screened in Venice as part of out of competition films. Unusually, the festival scheduled two press and industry screenings of the film ahead of the official world premiere in the Sala Grande.
The drama itself follows the affair between King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson that led to the British royal abdicating from the throne to marry his divorcee lover. It is set for a limited release in theaters on December 9.
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie