'Game of Thrones' Casts Comedian Gemma Whelan as Theon's Sister
Another actress has been added to the growing cast of "Game of Thrones" season 2. Gemma Whelan is tapped to portray Theon Greyjoy's older sister Asha, who will be called Yara on the series, possibly to avoid confusion with another character Osha (Natalia Tena) which sounds similar.
The older sister of Theon of the Stark family, Asha/Yara is the daughter of Balon Greyjoy and his wife, Alannys. She is fierce and proud, and defies traditional ironborn gender roles by commanding her own ship, the Black Wind. She also has a penchant for axes.
Whelan previously landed supporting roles in several films such as "Gulliver's Travels" and "The Wolfman". Also known as a comedian, the London-based actress won the 2010 Funny Women Variety award for stand-up comedy.
Other stars who have been cast for the second season of the HBO new hit series are Liam Cunningham as Davos Seaworth, Carice van Houten as Melisandre, Stephen Dillane as Stannis Baratheon, Gwendoline Christie as Brienne, and Natalie Dormer as Margaery Tyrell. The show will return with new episodes in spring 2012.
More Game of Thrones News
- LOL! Prince Harry Hilariously Photobombs 'ANTM' Star Winnie Harlow's Picture
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident