'Game of Thrones' Casts Comedian Gemma Whelan as Theon's Sister
Another actress has been added to the growing cast of "Game of Thrones" season 2. Gemma Whelan is tapped to portray Theon Greyjoy's older sister Asha, who will be called Yara on the series, possibly to avoid confusion with another character Osha (Natalia Tena) which sounds similar.
The older sister of Theon of the Stark family, Asha/Yara is the daughter of Balon Greyjoy and his wife, Alannys. She is fierce and proud, and defies traditional ironborn gender roles by commanding her own ship, the Black Wind. She also has a penchant for axes.
Whelan previously landed supporting roles in several films such as "Gulliver's Travels" and "The Wolfman". Also known as a comedian, the London-based actress won the 2010 Funny Women Variety award for stand-up comedy.
Other stars who have been cast for the second season of the HBO new hit series are Liam Cunningham as Davos Seaworth, Carice van Houten as Melisandre, Stephen Dillane as Stannis Baratheon, Gwendoline Christie as Brienne, and Natalie Dormer as Margaery Tyrell. The show will return with new episodes in spring 2012.
More Game of Thrones News
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!
- 'Rogue One': Gareth Edwards Teases Ben Mendelsohn's 'Working Class' Character
- Laverne Cox Is a 'Bad B***h,' Slays Nicki Minaj's 'Roman's Revenge' in 'Lip Sync Battle' Clip
- Jack O'Connell to Star as Alexander McQueen in Biopic