'Game of Thrones' Casts Comedian Gemma Whelan as Theon's Sister
Another actress has been added to the growing cast of "Game of Thrones" season 2. Gemma Whelan is tapped to portray Theon Greyjoy's older sister Asha, who will be called Yara on the series, possibly to avoid confusion with another character Osha (Natalia Tena) which sounds similar.
The older sister of Theon of the Stark family, Asha/Yara is the daughter of Balon Greyjoy and his wife, Alannys. She is fierce and proud, and defies traditional ironborn gender roles by commanding her own ship, the Black Wind. She also has a penchant for axes.
Whelan previously landed supporting roles in several films such as "Gulliver's Travels" and "The Wolfman". Also known as a comedian, the London-based actress won the 2010 Funny Women Variety award for stand-up comedy.
Other stars who have been cast for the second season of the HBO new hit series are Liam Cunningham as Davos Seaworth, Carice van Houten as Melisandre, Stephen Dillane as Stannis Baratheon, Gwendoline Christie as Brienne, and Natalie Dormer as Margaery Tyrell. The show will return with new episodes in spring 2012.
More Game of Thrones News
- Find Out Why Psy Chose Apink's Na Eun for His 'New Face' MV
- Jo Kwon Wants a 2AM Reunion
- Tyga Spotted Wearing Matching Sneakers With Mystery Brunette
- Jennifer Garner's New Pal Chelsea Handler Is Going After Ben Affleck
- 'Game of Thrones' Is Filming Fake Scenes
- Most Brutal Celebrity vs Paparazzi Fights
- Are 'Riverdale' Stars Cole Sprouse and Lili Reinhart Dating?
- 'Ant-Man and the Wasp': Evangeline Lilly Reacts to Michelle Pfeiffer's Casting as Her On-Screen Mom