Finale Ratings: 'Oprah' Breaks Record, 'American Idol' Soars
"The Oprah Winfrey Show" finale delivered a highest overnight rating for the program in 17 years. The last episode which aired May 25 received a 13.3 household rating, according to preliminary ratings from Nielsen. That was the biggest since a February 21, 1994 episode titled "People Shed Their Disguises" which generated a 13.4 rating.
The Wednesday installment was the culminate in a three-day farewell episodes of "Oprah". The Monday and Tuesday episodes, which were star-studded, delivered a 10.2 rating and a 10.7 rating respectively.
In the meantime, "American Idol" ended the tenth season with a huge rating. The final result show which crowned Scotty McCreery as the champion averaged 28.2 million viewers with a 8.9 rating in 18-49 demographic. It was up 9% in the demo and 17% in total viewers from 2010.
"Idol" finale also beat "Dancing with the Stars" season ender (20.9 million, 4.5), which aired on Tuesday, by 32% in total viewers. However, "DWTS" finale knocked down "Idol" penultimate episode which aired on the same day.
- Kobe Bryant and Wife Vanessa Welcome Baby No. 3
- John Cena Enters Battlefield in Intense Trailer for Doug Liman's 'The Wall'
- Gigi Hadid Blames Meds for Skinnier Figure, Announces Social Media Break Over the Holidays
- Nicki Minaj Flaunts Major Sideboob and Butt While Celebrating Birthday With Meek Mill
- 'La La Land' and 'Arrival' Among AFI's Top Ten Movies of 2016
- Donald Trump Is Still Involved in 'The Apprentice' After All
- Mick Jagger, 73, Welcomes Baby Boy With 30-Year-Old Girlfriend Melanie Hamrick
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson