Finale Ratings: 'Oprah' Breaks Record, 'American Idol' Soars
"The Oprah Winfrey Show" finale delivered a highest overnight rating for the program in 17 years. The last episode which aired May 25 received a 13.3 household rating, according to preliminary ratings from Nielsen. That was the biggest since a February 21, 1994 episode titled "People Shed Their Disguises" which generated a 13.4 rating.
The Wednesday installment was the culminate in a three-day farewell episodes of "Oprah". The Monday and Tuesday episodes, which were star-studded, delivered a 10.2 rating and a 10.7 rating respectively.
In the meantime, "American Idol" ended the tenth season with a huge rating. The final result show which crowned Scotty McCreery as the champion averaged 28.2 million viewers with a 8.9 rating in 18-49 demographic. It was up 9% in the demo and 17% in total viewers from 2010.
"Idol" finale also beat "Dancing with the Stars" season ender (20.9 million, 4.5), which aired on Tuesday, by 32% in total viewers. However, "DWTS" finale knocked down "Idol" penultimate episode which aired on the same day.
- Scarlett Johansson Talks Dating Again as She Thinks Gordon Ramsay 'Is the Hottest Guy'
- Watch Demi Lovato Practice Kissing Using Ed Sheeran Pillow on 'Ew!' With Jimmy Fallon
- Listen to The Chainsmokers' Heartbreaking Ballad 'The One'
- First Official Photos of Alicia Vikander's Lara Croft in 'Tomb Raider' Reboot Are Unveiled
- Nicki Minaj Has Her Eyes on 'Sexy' Nick Cannon Amid Mariah Carey Diss
- Zayn Malik Terrified About Harry Styles' Solo Album: 'He's Going to Steal My Thunder'
- 'Fargo' Season 3 Extended Trailer Sees Ray and Nikki Plotting a Revenge
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24 Week 2: And the First Eliminated Celebrity Is ...