Finale Ratings: 'Oprah' Breaks Record, 'American Idol' Soars
"The Oprah Winfrey Show" finale delivered a highest overnight rating for the program in 17 years. The last episode which aired May 25 received a 13.3 household rating, according to preliminary ratings from Nielsen. That was the biggest since a February 21, 1994 episode titled "People Shed Their Disguises" which generated a 13.4 rating.
The Wednesday installment was the culminate in a three-day farewell episodes of "Oprah". The Monday and Tuesday episodes, which were star-studded, delivered a 10.2 rating and a 10.7 rating respectively.
In the meantime, "American Idol" ended the tenth season with a huge rating. The final result show which crowned Scotty McCreery as the champion averaged 28.2 million viewers with a 8.9 rating in 18-49 demographic. It was up 9% in the demo and 17% in total viewers from 2010.
"Idol" finale also beat "Dancing with the Stars" season ender (20.9 million, 4.5), which aired on Tuesday, by 32% in total viewers. However, "DWTS" finale knocked down "Idol" penultimate episode which aired on the same day.
- 'Game of Thrones' Showrunners Help Jimmy Kimmel Poke Fun at Hodor Twist
- Is Marriage on the Cards for Sandra Bullock and Boyfriend Bryan Randall?
- Chloe Grace Moretz Gets New Sweet Tattoo. See the Pic!
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' Star Frank Dillane Arrested Following Altercation With Security Guard
- Katherine Webb and NFL Star Husband AJ McCarron Welcome First Child
- George R. R. Martin Revealed Three Huge Twists to 'Game of Thrones' Producers. What Are They?
- Take a Look at Pink's Awkward Reaction When Her Celebrity Crush Johnny Depp Surprises Her
- Brad Pitt Saves Young Girl From Being Crushed by Excited Fans. See His Heroic Action!