'American Idol' Exec Producer Says Pia Toscano's Elimination Is Not That Shocking
Nigel Lythgoe said nothing is wrong with Pia Toscano being eliminated from "American Idol" on April 7. Contrary to what most people believe, the executive producer of the singing competition thought the result was not that shocking because Pia was never close to the champion title.
"Number one, I know the results so I know she was never a frontrunner," Nigel said at the callback auditions for his other show "So You Think You Can Dance" in Las Vegas on April 8. He quickly added that he "was pretty upset" and "angry" upon learning that Pia was eliminated, "but the more I've sort of thought about it, the more I've calmed down, I've realized that at the end of the day, this is going to happen every week now because the talent is so strong."
Nigel further elaborated why Pia was kicked out of the show, "The fact of the matter is that it appears that Pia didn't connect with the audience as much as we maybe think she did. And she wasn't voted through. That's the fact of the matter." On why people did not take the elimination easily, he explained, "It appears that it's this huge drop because [Pia] has never been in the bottom three before, but neither was Casey [Abrams], neither was Paul [McDonald] last week. So every week it's going to happen that a really good singer goes."
On the same occasion, Nigel also defended judges' decision to use The Save for Casey two weeks before. "I agree with the judges saving Casey. I think Casey is unique, and really good for 'Idol', and doesn't just give us the same old singer every time; he gives us something totally different. I'm all for that," he stated.
Pia Toscano was dumped from "American Idol" during the live result show that revealed who were going to enter the top 8. The elimination of one of the best contestants quickly triggered comments from celebrities who watched the show like "Idol" alums Jennifer Hudson and Kimberly Caldwell.
She was recently reported to have signed to Interscope Records, but her representative has denied it, saying that no deal has been sealed as of now. The Texan native has said she is "looking forward" to the upcoming "Idol" tour.
- Lady GaGa Hits Recording Studio With BloodPop, Mark Ronson and Kevin Parker
- Derek Hough Confirms He's Back on 'Dancing with the Stars', Cheryl Burke Also Returns
- Ruby Rose Splits From Girlfriend Harley Gusman
- Ariana Grande Kisses Mac Miller and Sits on His Lap at VMAs After-Party
- Justin Bieber Wins 8 Titles in Guinness World Records 2017 Edition
- Pregnant Blac Chyna Poses Completely Naked for Paper Magazine
- Sharon Osbourne Faces Backlash After Undergoing Plastic Surgery for Her Ageless Look
- At Rob Lowe Roast, Ann Coulter Ends Up on the Receiving End of Comics' Jabs