Artist of the Week: Dr. Dre
Ten years after being occupied with his work as a song producer for other artists, Dr. Dre finally comes back with his own new project this year. The powerhouse rapper follows up his 1999 CD "2001" with a star-studded album "Detox", and precedes it with two singles "Kush" and "I Need a Doctor".
"Kush" features Dre's signature thumping beat with Snoop Dogg and Akon lending their vocal. Meanwhile, "I Need a Doctor" with its irresistible melody has plus points by featuring production from today's in-demand music maker Alex da Kid, adding furious verses of Eminem, and having lurking voice of Alex's protege Skylar Grey on the hook.
It's no wonder that the single climbed to No. 5 on Billboard Hot 100 and charmed live audience of the 53rd Annual Grammy Awards when it's showcased live for the very first time by the Doc with the Slim Shady and Skylar. A music video, featuring Eminem and Alex, was filmed earlier this month and is expected to be premiered sometime soon.
As for the album itself, it will likely be released later this year with more A-list stars like Jay-Z on the line-up. Some of the songs, including "Kush", were leaked in its unfinished forms, much to Dre's dismay. "It's a little bit unfortunate with the technology today," he once said. "I really wasn't happy about (it), (but) we're going to go ahead and push it and put it out."
Nonetheless, "I'm seriously excited about it. It's feeling good now," he stated. "One of the reasons it was taking so long is because I felt like I was doing it more out of obligation as opposed to really feeling it. As of last year, I've been really feeling where it's going and it feels good and I think I'm ready."
- DJ Khaled and Fiancee Nicole Tuck Welcome Baby Boy
- Benedict Cumberbatch and Solange Knowles Set to Make 'SNL' Debut
- Britney Spears Almost Flashes Her Breasts During On-Stage Wardrobe Malfunction
- 'Jessica Jones' Season 2 Will Be Directed Entirely by Women
- Taylor Swift Sings Calvin Harris' Song During Her Return to Stage at Formula 1 Concert
- Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry Go Door to Door for Hillary Clinton at College Dorms
- Watch: Lady GaGa Performs 'Joanne' Songs on 'SNL'
- Tom Hanks Plays 'Black Jeopardy' as Donald Trump's Supporter on 'SNL'