Artist of the Week: Dr. Dre
Ten years after being occupied with his work as a song producer for other artists, Dr. Dre finally comes back with his own new project this year. The powerhouse rapper follows up his 1999 CD "2001" with a star-studded album "Detox", and precedes it with two singles "Kush" and "I Need a Doctor".
"Kush" features Dre's signature thumping beat with Snoop Dogg and Akon lending their vocal. Meanwhile, "I Need a Doctor" with its irresistible melody has plus points by featuring production from today's in-demand music maker Alex da Kid, adding furious verses of Eminem, and having lurking voice of Alex's protege Skylar Grey on the hook.
It's no wonder that the single climbed to No. 5 on Billboard Hot 100 and charmed live audience of the 53rd Annual Grammy Awards when it's showcased live for the very first time by the Doc with the Slim Shady and Skylar. A music video, featuring Eminem and Alex, was filmed earlier this month and is expected to be premiered sometime soon.
As for the album itself, it will likely be released later this year with more A-list stars like Jay-Z on the line-up. Some of the songs, including "Kush", were leaked in its unfinished forms, much to Dre's dismay. "It's a little bit unfortunate with the technology today," he once said. "I really wasn't happy about (it), (but) we're going to go ahead and push it and put it out."
Nonetheless, "I'm seriously excited about it. It's feeling good now," he stated. "One of the reasons it was taking so long is because I felt like I was doing it more out of obligation as opposed to really feeling it. As of last year, I've been really feeling where it's going and it feels good and I think I'm ready."
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie