Elizabeth Taylor Hospitalized for 'Ongoing Condition' of Heart Failure
The reason why Elizabeth Taylor didn't attend the February 9 amfAR gala, where she was feted for her longstanding AIDS charity work, is because she is currently hospitalized. The Hollywood vet is now treated at Los Angeles' Cedars-Sinai Medical Center for congestive heart failure, which is described as "an ongoing condition."
Her spokeswoman Sally Morrison issued a statement regarding her absence at the Wednesday event, "Ms. Taylor was hoping to attend the 25th Anniversary event of AmFAR last night [Wednesday] where she was honored by the organization. Unfortunately, the combination of the unstable weather conditions and the fact that she was feeling under the weather forced her to make the decision not to travel."
"It seems that the combination of her non attendance last night, combined with the fact she was photographed last week leaving her dentist's office in a wheelchair, has caused a lot of negative speculation," Sally continued the explanation e-mailed to ABC on behalf of Elizabeth. "Thanks for your concern." Since she was not at the ceremony, Elton John accepted the award in her honor, passing along a message from Taylor saying, "I am there in spirit."
Following the apology for Elizabeth's amfAR absence, Sally released another statement, "Elizabeth Taylor was hospitalized earlier this week ... suffering from symptoms caused by congestive heart failure, an ongoing condition. This issue is being addressed... She is currently being kept in the hospital for monitoring."
An Oscar-winning actress, Elizabeth Taylor, 78, has disclosed her heart condition since November 2004. "Her family and close friends are appreciative of the warm support and interest of her loyal fans, but have asked that people respect her privacy and allow her medical team the time and space to focus on restoring her back to health," the statement went further.
- Jay Leno Survives a Terrifying Accident While Filming His Car Show
- Kylie Jenner Wears Tyga's Sweatshirt Amid Reconciliation Rumors
- Jon Bon Jovi Meets Cancer Patient, Gives Her Guitar, Plays His New Songs
- Diane Kruger Called a 'B***h' for Speaking Up About Gender Inequality in Hollywood
- Lady GaGa Sparks Outrage From Her Chinese Fans After Meeting Dalai Lama
- 'The 9th Life of Louis Drax' First Trailer Is Full of Mysteries
- Stella Maxwell Goes Completely Topless in This NSFW Instagram Photo
- 'Game of Thrones' Showrunner Confirms Shorter Two Final Seasons: We Get Close to the Ending