2011 SAG Awards Winners: Betty White and 'Modern Family'
Screen Actors Guild Awards handed out the Best Actress in Comedy category to Betty White. Not counting last year's lifetime achievement honor, this is the first SAG for the 89-year-old. "We (the cast of Hot in Cleveland) fell in love the first day we worked together," White who plays a sassy housekeeper on the TV Land's comedy said. She cracked a joke, "You didn't applaud when I turned 40."
White's win was the first genuine surprise at the Sunday, January 30 event. She beat favorite-to-win such as Jane Lynch of "Glee" and Sofia Vergara of "Modern Family" but "Modern" got its revenge right after. The ABC comedy was named Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series. Ed O'Neill chose to deliver the speech and he kept it short, saying, "This is one that I think we all wanted."
"Glee", which had its glory at Golden Globes earlier this month, officially is not getting some love from SAG. Earlier that night, Alec Baldwin from "30 Rock" beat Chris Colfer in the race for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series.
Over in the drama category, "Boardwalk Empire" was the clear winner. Beside named Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series, the HBO show also delivered victory for its leading star Steve Buscemi. The other drama acting nod went to Julianna Margulies of "The Good Wife".
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers
- 'The Bachelor' Star Chris Soules' Ex Whitney Bischoff Is Engaged Again
- Comic-Con: 'Scream Queens' Stars Share Details of Season 2, Colton Haynes' Cast in Mystery Role
- Dakota Johnson Channels 'Fifty Shades' Character in This Provocative Photo
- Celine Dion Slays Her Impressions of Rihanna, Cher and Sia on 'Tonight Show'