ABC Plotting a Musical Drama With 'Glee' Star Idina Menzel
Stemming from FOX's success in launching "Glee", ABC is going full throttle with its plan to produce two musical series. Coming next Fall are two music-themed series which has Tony-winning actress Idina Menzel in one of them and "Sharpay's Fabulous Adventure" writer Robert Horn in the other.
Both projects are still untitled but the details have already emerged via Deadline. Menzel, who had a guest starring role on "Glee", is going to play a single mother of a teenager who tries to make ends meet by taking jobs as wedding singer and waitress. The one-hour drama reflects her own life experience before she became a big star on Broadway.
The mother-daughter relationship series is written by "Samantha Who?" scribe Bob Kushnell who "had been looking to do a musical series for the past 10 years". David Knoller of "Big Love" is set as executive producer while Menzel and her manager Heather Reynolds would serve as producers.
Meanwhile, Horn's project is a half-hour musical comedy which is female driven. Producers Lindy Ascher and Susan Cartsonis of "Beastly" came up with the original concept.
- Lil' Kim Cancels Performance at Essence Festival
- Tyga Romances Blonde Beauty in '1 of 1' Music Video
- David Foster's Daughters: Yolanda Hadid Is Not Dying If She Continues to Be on Reality Show
- Alexander Skarsgard Laughs Off Wedding Plan Rumor
- Judi Dench Gets Her First Tattoo at Her 81st Birthday
- Keri Russell Reveals Her Baby's Gender and Name
- Debby Ryan Gets Probation After Pleading No Contest to DUI
- Justin Bieber Falls Again on Stage During His Concert