ABC Plotting a Musical Drama With 'Glee' Star Idina Menzel
Stemming from FOX's success in launching "Glee", ABC is going full throttle with its plan to produce two musical series. Coming next Fall are two music-themed series which has Tony-winning actress Idina Menzel in one of them and "Sharpay's Fabulous Adventure" writer Robert Horn in the other.
Both projects are still untitled but the details have already emerged via Deadline. Menzel, who had a guest starring role on "Glee", is going to play a single mother of a teenager who tries to make ends meet by taking jobs as wedding singer and waitress. The one-hour drama reflects her own life experience before she became a big star on Broadway.
The mother-daughter relationship series is written by "Samantha Who?" scribe Bob Kushnell who "had been looking to do a musical series for the past 10 years". David Knoller of "Big Love" is set as executive producer while Menzel and her manager Heather Reynolds would serve as producers.
Meanwhile, Horn's project is a half-hour musical comedy which is female driven. Producers Lindy Ascher and Susan Cartsonis of "Beastly" came up with the original concept.
- Here's What Blac Chyna Thinks of Kylie Jenner Playing Step Mom to King Cairo
- 'Mr. Robot' 2.09 Preview: It's Time to Go Home
- Lady GaGa's New Song 'Perfect Illusion' Reportedly due Out Next Week
- Three Potential Directors Lined Up to Helm 'Captain Marvel'
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Maksim Chmerkovskiy Will Return, Ryan Lochte Is in Talks for Season 23
- Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie for Her Birthday After Partying With Bronte Blampied
- Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj to Perform 'Side to Side' at 2016 MTV VMAs
- Inside Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom's Proposal Plans