ABC Plotting a Musical Drama With 'Glee' Star Idina Menzel
Stemming from FOX's success in launching "Glee", ABC is going full throttle with its plan to produce two musical series. Coming next Fall are two music-themed series which has Tony-winning actress Idina Menzel in one of them and "Sharpay's Fabulous Adventure" writer Robert Horn in the other.
Both projects are still untitled but the details have already emerged via Deadline. Menzel, who had a guest starring role on "Glee", is going to play a single mother of a teenager who tries to make ends meet by taking jobs as wedding singer and waitress. The one-hour drama reflects her own life experience before she became a big star on Broadway.
The mother-daughter relationship series is written by "Samantha Who?" scribe Bob Kushnell who "had been looking to do a musical series for the past 10 years". David Knoller of "Big Love" is set as executive producer while Menzel and her manager Heather Reynolds would serve as producers.
Meanwhile, Horn's project is a half-hour musical comedy which is female driven. Producers Lindy Ascher and Susan Cartsonis of "Beastly" came up with the original concept.
- Despite Chipped Tooth and Skin Rash, Kim Kardashian Has Lots of Fun at Las Vegas Party
- Comic-Con: Brie Larson Officially Named Captain Marvel
- Comic-Con: 'The Vampire Diaries' Announced to End With Season 8. How Fans React?
- After Breaking Down on Stage, Selena Gomez Posts Cryptic Message on Instagram
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers