'Megamind' Still Rules Box Office as 'Unstoppable' Stops at Number Two
"Megamind" refuses to hand over its crown to "Unstoppable". In its second week, the DreamWorks animation still stays on the top place of North American Box Office with $29.1 million or dropping about 36.7% from its opening revenue.
"It's terrific to be so decidedly No. 1 in the second weekend," the studio marketing maven Anne Globe says as quoted by The Hollywood Reporter. She additionally expects "continued strength and playability to the family audience" will become increasingly evident through the Thanksgiving holiday period though at that time "Megamind" will lose its roar due to the release of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I".
"Unstoppable", which becomes a starring vehicle for Denzel Washington and Chris Pine, has a strong debut with $22.7 million gross, thanks to its strong reviews. The number is roughly $2 million more than many analysts expected and the movie draws women 50% of its total audience.
"We are thrilled with the numbers," says Bert Livingston, distribution exec with 20th Century Fox, which released the drama thriller. "We weren't a sequel, weren't a known name, and there hasn't been a lot of action that's worked."
"Due Date", which debuted as runner up last week, is knocked over to number three. The comedy, which pairs up Zach Galifianakis and Robert Downey Jr. as unlikely travel mates, adds $15.4 million to its current domestic revenue which now totals $58.9 million.
Other two newcomers do not end up as well as "Unstoppable" does. Alien invasion flick "Skyline" lands at number four with $11.7 million gross, which is enough to cover its small budget of about $10 million. Meanwhile, "Morning Glory" that features a collaboration between Harrison Ford and Rachel McAdams rounds up the top five with $9.2 million.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for November 12-14:
- Taylor Swift Who? Calvin Harris Gets Flirty With Mystery Brunette While Partying in Cabo
- Apple in Talks to Buy Jay-Z's Tidal
- Kylie Jenner Calls Tyga Her 'Husband' on Snapchat
- Lindsay Lohan Writing Tell-All Book About Her Life
- 'Wreck-It Ralph 2' Gets 2018 Release Date, Hints at Internet Setting
- Rihanna Is Queen of the Universe in 'Sledgehammer' Music Video
- Lady GaGa Responds to Dalai Lama Controversy
- Idris Elba, Michael B. Jordan, John Boyega Join Academy After OscarsSoWhite Backlash