Eminem Tops MTV's Hottest MCs in the Game, Nicki Minaj Debuts at No. 6
After getting snubbed by MTV on its 2009 Hottest MCs in the Game, Eminem returns big this year by landing at No. 1 on the list. The Slim Shady makes it to the top spot due to the success of his latest studio installment "Recovery" which went double platinum after just eight weeks on sale.
Beside the album, he also made several hit singles. He gave a boost to B.o.B's already-steady single "Airplanes" which features Hayley Williams by adding extra verses in its official remix. Also, his own songs "Not Afraid" and "Love the Way You Lie" reigned Billboard Hot 100.
"Something about Em this time around, you don't feel like he's following some type of formula," MTV Jams' Tuma Basa said. "He didn't come out with that corny Slim Shady record. This time, he came like, 'I came to play.' And the records have this motivational anthemic type [of feel] we haven't seen in him. He's stepping into a new space."
Jay-Z comes next after Eminem, dropping one spot from his last year's position. The Roc Nation founder secures the runner-up position for the continuation of "The Blueprint 3" success. He also bagged multiple coveted awards this year, including three Golden Gramophones at the Grammys. Coincidentally, the two rappers who sit at the first and second places teamed up for highly-anticipated, Home and Home concerts.
Kanye West rounds up the Top 3. Despite the negative publicity he received for crashing the stage of 2009 MTV Video Music Awards during Taylor Swift's Best Female Video acceptance speech, the outspoken rapper is ranked well on the list this year probably for pushing the envelope with his work. He made a moving painting of art for his single "Power" and challenged himself by directing a mini movie for "Runaway". On top of that, he has also bravely returned to the VMAs and mocked himself by having a toast for the Douchebags.
Drake falls from No. 3 to No. 4, Rick Ross holds the fifth place, Nicki Minaj makes her debut on the list at No. 6, Lil Wayne who is currently staying in jail drops to No. 7, Waka Flocka Flame rises to No. 8, B.o.B lands at No. 9, and Ludacris sits at No. 10.
More Eminem News
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences