Adam Lambert Agrees to Tone Down His Performance in Malaysia Amid Protest
Adam Lambert will still go ahead with his concert in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia despite facing protest from Pan Malaysian Islamic Party. The opposition party demanded the Thursday, October 14 show to be canceled because they believe it is promoting "gay culture" in the mainly Muslim country.
"Adam Lambert's shows...are outrageous, with lewd dancing and a gay performance that includes kissing male dancers, this is not good for people in our country," said PAS Youth leader Nasrudin Hasan. They even threatened to call "as many of its members and supporters" to proselytize to concertgoers if the gig still goes ahead.
Lambert, who usually treats his fans with guy-on-guy action on stage, is not happy with that, but he agrees to tone down his performance. According to Malaysia's Arts, Culture and Heritage Ministry, he has signed a contract agreeing to abide by the Ministry's rules on performances which can require foreign performers to tone down their acts to suit local sensibilities.
In a series of Twitter messages, the "American Idol" singer himself responds to the criticism, stating "While I don't believe that my glamnation tour is in any way offensive I have agreed to make a few minor adjustments out of respect for the Malaysian government. Looking forward to a fun show."
"Does my show 'promote the gay lifestyle'? It promotes living ANY lifestyle that includes the freedom to seek love and intimacy. Gay, straight, bi, young or old. It's all inclusive," he continued. "Plus, what's THE gay lifestyle? There isn't just one. There are so many different kinds of gay people. We have a variety of different lifestyles. There's not only one lifestyle lived by straight folks. Generalizing...."
More Adam Lambert News
- You Won't Believe How Much Mila Kunis Spent on Her Wedding Ring
- Matt Damon Fights Monsters in Epic Trailer for 'The Great Wall'
- 'Sesame Street' Fires Three Longtime Cast Members
- Find Out Which Joe Jonas' Famous Exes He Would Like to 'Shag, Marry and Kill'
- Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden's Baby Struggles Reportedly Cause Marriage Problems
- Andrew Garfield Is World War II Hero in First 'Hacksaw Ridge' Trailer
- 'Scream Queens' Adds Jerry O'Connell in Mystery Role
- Troian Bellisario Has Harsh Words for Both Kim Kardashian and Taylor Swift