Adam Lambert Agrees to Tone Down His Performance in Malaysia Amid Protest
Adam Lambert will still go ahead with his concert in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia despite facing protest from Pan Malaysian Islamic Party. The opposition party demanded the Thursday, October 14 show to be canceled because they believe it is promoting "gay culture" in the mainly Muslim country.
"Adam Lambert's shows...are outrageous, with lewd dancing and a gay performance that includes kissing male dancers, this is not good for people in our country," said PAS Youth leader Nasrudin Hasan. They even threatened to call "as many of its members and supporters" to proselytize to concertgoers if the gig still goes ahead.
Lambert, who usually treats his fans with guy-on-guy action on stage, is not happy with that, but he agrees to tone down his performance. According to Malaysia's Arts, Culture and Heritage Ministry, he has signed a contract agreeing to abide by the Ministry's rules on performances which can require foreign performers to tone down their acts to suit local sensibilities.
In a series of Twitter messages, the "American Idol" singer himself responds to the criticism, stating "While I don't believe that my glamnation tour is in any way offensive I have agreed to make a few minor adjustments out of respect for the Malaysian government. Looking forward to a fun show."
"Does my show 'promote the gay lifestyle'? It promotes living ANY lifestyle that includes the freedom to seek love and intimacy. Gay, straight, bi, young or old. It's all inclusive," he continued. "Plus, what's THE gay lifestyle? There isn't just one. There are so many different kinds of gay people. We have a variety of different lifestyles. There's not only one lifestyle lived by straight folks. Generalizing...."
- Find Out What Ji Chang Wook Wants to Achieve Before Military Enlistment
- Backstreet Boys to Reunite With Florida Georgia Line for 'CMT Crossroads'
- Justin Bieber: Out-of-Work Crew Are Not My Responsibility
- Shia LaBeouf and Mia Goth Are on the Verge of Divorce
- Does Kim Know? Kanye West Caught Leaving Studio With Nearly Naked Woman
- Six Shortest Celebrity Marriages
- Dating for Nine Months, Drew Barrymore Is Set to Wed for the Fourth Time
- So Cool! Watch Lee Joon Gi Do His Own Dangerous Stunt for 'Criminal Minds'