will.i.am Defends His VMAs Blackface Make-Up
will.i.am has caused controversy by attending 2010 MTV Video Music Awards in an "all black everything" ensemble. The Black Eyed Peas star wore black outfit from head to toe, literally, with his face painted dark.
Apparently learning that his choice of fashion style has offended some people, will.i.am quickly wrote on his Twitter to downplay the issue. He started his self-defense, "1st. just because I where all black including head mask as expression and emphasize my outfit, it shouldn't be looked at as racial..."
"Let go of the past. there are far more important things 2 bark about. (Jobs, health, education) not a black man wearing all black everything," he continued. "Are you guys serious? my outfit set 'black people back 100 yrs' choose your twits wisely. no education sets people back, no jobs, bad health."
While some people slammed will.i.am, Lil Duval took it as a comedy. "I think will i am took a dip in the oil spill for that performance," he posted on his own page, referring to the rapper's "Check It Out" performance with Nicki Minaj. Duval later on added, "I'm a comedian people so if u get upset u look real stupid."
Blackface first gained popularity during the 19th century and typically promotes racist stereotypes toward African Americans. Earlier this year, Estelle also came under fire for using black paint to cover her body and face in "Freak" music video. At that time, she responded to the controversy, saying "I'm black, so how do I do blackface? Missy [Elliott] did the same thing [with her video]. She's a B***h. I refuse to defend it, I didn't put any white ring around my mouth - never that."
- Katy Perry Crowd-Surfing Twice at Glastonbury 2017
- Blac Chyna Involved in Car Accident
- Kelly Osbourne Shows Her Derriere While Struggling to Get Out of Her Dress
- Kendall Jenner Looks Unrecognizable in Her Latest Instagram Pictures
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Spotted Kissing Another Woman in London
- Angelina Jolie Is Worrying That Brad Pitt Will Get More Custody
- Amanda Bynes Steps Out for Shopping in Beverly Hills
- Gal Gadot Is Already Planning for Baby No. 3