'The American' Leads Box Office on Labor Day Weekend
"The American" has become a new champion at North American Box Office on this Labor weekend. The film, which has just been debuted on September 1, rakes in $13.2 million and the number is enough to pull "Takers" away from the top spot. The former winner now sits on number two with $10.9 million haul.
"Machete", which opened on Friday, September 3 with an impressive $3.9 million from ticket sales, takes the third place with $11.4 million gross on its first weekend. Despite the big first day haul, The Hollywood Reporter had predicted that this Robert Rodriguez's R-rated action thriller would lose to "The American" because the George Clooney-starring flick attracts more couples on date night than the gory genre film.
On the fourth spot there is "The Last Exorcism" which drops two places from last weekend. The horror movie adds $7.3 million to its domestic revenue. Another newcomer "Going the Distance" rounds up the top five with $6.9 million gross.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for September 3-5:
- "The American" - $13.2 million
- "Machete" - $11.4 million
- "Takers" - $10.9 million
- "The Last Exorcism" - $7.3 million
- "Going the Distance" - $6.9 million
- "The Expendables" - $6.6 million
- "The Other Guys" - $5.3 million
- "Eat, Pray, Love" - $4.8 million
- "Inception" - $4.6 million
- "Nanny McPhee Returns" - $3.5 million
- Watch: Elizabeth Banks, Idina Menzel and More Stars Cover 'Fight Song' for Hillary Clinton
- 'Suicide Squad' Director Addresses Joker Fan Theory
- Blac Chyna Gets Love From Kim While Attending a Kardashian Family Event Sans Rob
- Khloe Kardashian Slams Donald Trump as Elizabeth Banks Likens Him to 'Hunger Games' Character
- Not a Wise Spender, Kylie Jenner Is Reportedly Nearly Broke
- 'Suicide Squad' Star Ike Barinholtz Welcomes Second Baby With Wife
- T.J. Miller Parties Hard in First 'Office Christmas Party' Trailer
- Watch Stephen Colbert Crash and Get Kicked Off DNC Stage During 'Hunger Games' Spoof