2010 Tony Awards: Denzel Washington Is Best Actor in a Play
"Fences" has taken home three gongs at the Sunday, June 13 ceremony of 2010 Tony Awards. The play is dubbed Best Revival and its two main stars take the top acting honors. Denzel Washington wins Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play, while Viola Davis wins for the Leading Actress category.
Washington, who has won two Oscars apparently did not prepare his acceptance speech for the Tony award, saying "I knew I should've written something down." Being thankful for the honor, Davis in the other hand states in teary eyes, "I don't believe in luck ... but I absolutely believe in the presence of God in my life."
Also winning big at the show is "Red". The play, which has dominated the list of winners in non-acting categories, has just been announced as the Best Play. Additionally, "Fela!" which has nabbed several kudos earlier at the event has added another prize to its shelve, grabbing Best Choreography for Bill T. Jones. Another coveted award for Best Revival of a Musical later goes to "La Cage aux Folles".
Few more prizes from the 64th Tony Awards which are still left will be handed out soon. The awards show is currently taking place at Radio City Music Hall with Tony nominee Sean Hayes serving as a host.
2010 Tony Awards : Red Carpet Arrivals | Winners List
More Denzel Washington News
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media