Erykah Badu Confronted Lots of Fear When Filming 'Window Seat'
Erykah Badu talked about what she felt when taking her clothes off for the filming of "Window Seat" music video. In an interview with MTV, the Grammy-winning singer shared she "had a chance to confront a lot of fears in that moment."
"It was real," she said. "We only had one take to do it. It was done in one minute and 22 seconds. We sped the music up really fast in order to give it the slow-motion feel. I was walking really fast. Like a brisk jog/walk. I was nude for about 15 seconds of that. It was a brave thing to do."
In further statement, she admitted that she was reluctant when first unzipping her outfit. "The first unzip was 'OK.' The backup was 'Should I do this?'," she recalled about having a second thought. "Afterwards, after it was all over, we ran."
And once again, she defended the video and also explained the word "groupthink" which comes out of her head. She said, "I expected it to provoke dialogue, and it's an important statement to make. It's about freeing oneself of the layers and layers of things that we have learned as Americans in this country. At the point of becoming naked and individual and free, either you're assassinated spiritually or mentally by the group or worse. The words coming out of my head after I was figuratively and literally assassinated was 'groupthink'."
"Groupthink is a term coined by Irving Janis, 1972. It pretty much states what happens when a character or person is ostracized for thinking out of what the consensus is. He or she is pretty much thinking [more] with a heart than with loyalty. It's an important thing. It's art. It's performance art."
"Art is supposed to spark dialogue and ring an awakening of some sort," she continued, "especially if it is impactful and powerful. I didn't expect to be demonized, but I did expect to spark that sort of dialogue."
More Erykah Badu News
- 'Game of Thrones' Stars Talk About the Bloodbath and Power Transfer in Season Finale
- Deadpool Makes Surprise Appearance in 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Japanese Trailer
- 50 Cent Arrested in the Caribbean for Saying 'Motherf**ker' at Music Festival
- Adele Burps While Taking Selfie With a Fan Onstage. See the Hilarious Video
- Rihanna Previews New Song 'Sledgehammer' From 'Star Trek Beyond'
- Mariah Carey Shows Off Bare Butts at Her DJ Debut in Las Vegas
- Justin Timberlake Attacked by Twitter Users for His Comment on Jesse Williams' BET Awards Speech
- Artist of the Week: Calvin Harris