Elton John: 'Jesus Was Super-Intelligent Gay Man'
Elton John may expect a letter from Christian groups anytime soon. The openly-gay singer has revealed his view of Christianity on Parade Online, saying he thinks Jesus was gay. The interview will appear online in full on Friday, February 19.
"I think Jesus was a compassionate, super-intelligent gay man who understood human problems," he told the publication. "On the cross, he forgave the people who crucified him. Jesus wanted us to be loving and forgiving. I don't know what makes people so cruel. Try being a gay woman in the Middle East - you're as good as dead."
John married his same sex partner David Furnish in 2005 in a civil partnership. "I was attracted to David immediately. He was very well dressed, very shy," he said. "The next night we had dinner. After it, we consummated our relationship. We fell in love very quickly."
He's also been active in supporting LGBT social movements as well as AIDS charities since his friend Freddie Mercury died of the disease. "I set up my foundation because I wanted to make amends for the years I was a drug addict," he revealed. "People with HIV are still stigmatized. The infection rates are going up. People are dying. The political response is appalling. The sadness of it, the waste."
John also spoke about fame which has lost its appeal. "Princess Diana, Gianni Versace, John Lennon, Michael Jackson, all dead," John said. "Two of them shot outside their houses. None of this would have happened if they hadn't been famous. Fame attracts lunatics. I never had a bodyguard, ever, until Gianni died. I don't like celebrity anymore."
More Elton John News
- Tarek and Christina El Moussa 'Desperately Trying' to Stay in the Limelight by Eying Solo Shows
- Kylie Jenner Goes Makeup Free During a Day Out With Tyga
- Listen to Lana Del Rey's Long-Awaited Dreamy Song 'Love'
- Liam Payne Is Doing Home Renovation Before Cheryl Gives Birth
- Britney Spears Bares Her Naked Body in NSFW Instagram Pic
- 'The Walking Dead' 7.11 Sneak Peeks: What Happens to Dwight After Daryl's Escape?
- Madonna's New Twins Singing 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' Are Just Too Cute
- Report: Louis Tomlinson Rekindles Romance With Eleanor Calder Two Years After Split