'Avatar' Still Rules Box Office, Becomes America's Seventh-Highest Grosser
On its fourth weekend, "Avatar" came out unchallenged on North American Box Office. This James Cameron's sci-fi has managed to secure the top spot with $50.3 million, dropping only 26.6% in ticket sales. So far, the movie has collected $430.8 million domestically.
The number has made "Avatar" the 2009's highest grossing film in the U.S., beating out "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen". The Sam Worthington-starring film, moreover, has passed "Spider-Man" and "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" to become America's seventh-highest grosser all time. By the next weekend, "Avatar" is expected to jump four more spots to become No. 3 on the U.S. all-time list.
Earlier the week, on January 7, this big budget film has been claimed as the second-highest worldwide grosser ever with a total of $1.14 billion. It beat out 2003's "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of The King" which gained $1.12 billion tally worldwide.
Following "Avatar" was "Sherlock Holmes", which still sat on the second place since it was released on December 25, 2009 and added another $16.58 million. Meanwhile, 20th Century Fox's "Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel" secured the third position with $16.57 million, making a total domestic haul of $178.4 million.
The fourth place went to newcomer "Daybreakers", which has just been released on January 8. The Ethan Hawke's vampire action flick collected $15.1 million. Rounding up the top five was "It's Complicated", which took in an approximately $11 million.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for January 8-10:
- "Avatar" - $50.3 million
- "Sherlock Holmes" - $16.58 million
- "Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel" - $16.56 million
- "Daybreakers" - $15.1 million
- "It's Complicated" - $11 million
- "Leap Year" - $9.2 million
- "The Blind Side" - $7.5 million
- "Up in the Air" - $7.2 million
- "Youth in Revolt" - $6.9 million
- "The Princess and the Frog" - $4.6 million
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences