2009 ALMA Awards Honorees in Movie
The honorees for ALMA Awards 2009's special achievement in motion picture category have been unraveled by the National Council of La Raza. On Tuesday, August 25 at a news conference at Beso Restaurant, NCLR President and CEO Janet Murguia and Executive Producer Eva Longoria revealed that there will be 11 actors and 8 actresses competing for Best Actor and Best Actress.
Among those vying for Best Actor of the Year title are "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" leading man Javier Bardem, "Two Lovers" star Joaquin Phoenix and "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" actor Ramon Rodriguez. Meanwhile, the actresses receiving nominations include Cameron Diaz, Eva Mendes, Michelle Rodriguez, Penelope Cruz and Rosario Dawson.
Beside the performers in motion pictures, a number of film crew also get a shot at winning Behind the Scenes honor. "High School Musical 3: Senior Year" director Kenny Ortega, "Hellboy II: The Golden Army" helmer Guillermo del Toro, "Twilight" make-up artist Jeanne Van Phue and "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" cinematographer Claudio Miranda are among them.
The larger number of nominees for each category is part of the significant format change for this year's ALMA Awards. "If you like the ALMA Awards, you will love this year's show because we're bringing you more of what you love most, unique musical pairings and the best Latino entertainment," Murguia shared on the changes.
The 2009 ALMA Awards will be taped on September 17 at the Royce Hall Auditorium at UCLA and aired on ABC Television Network the next day, September 18 from 8:00 to 10:00 P.M. ET/PT. Eva Longoria will co-host with George Lopez. To give special honors to Salma Hayek and Oscar De La Hoya, and special tribute to the late Ricardo Montalban, ALMA also honors the best in television, music and sports television.
2009 ALMA Awards' Special Achievement Honorees for Year in Film:
Best Actor of the Year:
- Alfred Molina, "The Pink Panther 2"
- Cheech Marin, "Race to Witch Mountain"
- Freddy Rodriguez, "Nothing Like the Holidays"
- Oscar Nunez, "The Proposal"
- Clifton Collins Jr., "Star Trek" and "Crank: High Voltage"
- Efren Ramirez, "Crank: High Voltage"
- Javier Bardem, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"
- Joaquin Phoenix, "Two Lovers"
- John Leguizamo, "Nothing Like the Holidays"
- Luis Guzman, "The Taking of Pelham 123"
- Ramon Rodriguez, "Transformers: Revenge of The Fallen"
- Elisabeth Pena, "Nothing Like the Holidays"
- Sofia Vergara, "Madea Goes to Jail"
- Cameron Diaz, "My Sister's Keeper"
- Eva Mendes, "The Women" and "The Spirit"
- Michelle Rodriguez, "Fast and Furious"
- Penelope Cruz, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"
- Rosario Dawson, "Seven Pounds"
- Zoe Saldana, "Star Trek"
- Kylie Jenner Wraps Her Body With Real Snake in Sneak Peek of Sexy 2017 Calendar
- Lady GaGa Shares Kindness With the Help of Taylor Kinney and Her Mom
- Shia LaBeouf Unleashes New Freestyle in Response to Soulja Boy's Threats
- Nicki Minaj Gets Heavily Criticized for Making Fun of Mentally Ill Woman
- 'The Mummy' Director on Whether Tom Cruise's Character Dies in the First Trailer
- 'Westworld' Showrunners Address Evil Dolores and Ford's Fate
- Justin Bieber Announces 2017 U.S. Stadium Tour Dates
- Blac Chyna Seems to Diss Kylie Jenner and Tyga on Snapchat. Is This Khloe's Response?