2009 ALMA Awards Honorees in Movie
The honorees for ALMA Awards 2009's special achievement in motion picture category have been unraveled by the National Council of La Raza. On Tuesday, August 25 at a news conference at Beso Restaurant, NCLR President and CEO Janet Murguia and Executive Producer Eva Longoria revealed that there will be 11 actors and 8 actresses competing for Best Actor and Best Actress.
Among those vying for Best Actor of the Year title are "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" leading man Javier Bardem, "Two Lovers" star Joaquin Phoenix and "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" actor Ramon Rodriguez. Meanwhile, the actresses receiving nominations include Cameron Diaz, Eva Mendes, Michelle Rodriguez, Penelope Cruz and Rosario Dawson.
Beside the performers in motion pictures, a number of film crew also get a shot at winning Behind the Scenes honor. "High School Musical 3: Senior Year" director Kenny Ortega, "Hellboy II: The Golden Army" helmer Guillermo del Toro, "Twilight" make-up artist Jeanne Van Phue and "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" cinematographer Claudio Miranda are among them.
The larger number of nominees for each category is part of the significant format change for this year's ALMA Awards. "If you like the ALMA Awards, you will love this year's show because we're bringing you more of what you love most, unique musical pairings and the best Latino entertainment," Murguia shared on the changes.
The 2009 ALMA Awards will be taped on September 17 at the Royce Hall Auditorium at UCLA and aired on ABC Television Network the next day, September 18 from 8:00 to 10:00 P.M. ET/PT. Eva Longoria will co-host with George Lopez. To give special honors to Salma Hayek and Oscar De La Hoya, and special tribute to the late Ricardo Montalban, ALMA also honors the best in television, music and sports television.
2009 ALMA Awards' Special Achievement Honorees for Year in Film:
Best Actor of the Year:
- Alfred Molina, "The Pink Panther 2"
- Cheech Marin, "Race to Witch Mountain"
- Freddy Rodriguez, "Nothing Like the Holidays"
- Oscar Nunez, "The Proposal"
- Clifton Collins Jr., "Star Trek" and "Crank: High Voltage"
- Efren Ramirez, "Crank: High Voltage"
- Javier Bardem, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"
- Joaquin Phoenix, "Two Lovers"
- John Leguizamo, "Nothing Like the Holidays"
- Luis Guzman, "The Taking of Pelham 123"
- Ramon Rodriguez, "Transformers: Revenge of The Fallen"
- Chris Brown Sued for Allegedly Stealing a Fan's Hat at Concert
- Listen to Previews of Justin Bieber's Remix of Drake's 'One Dance'
- Take a Look at Ciara's Exotic Vacation in Mexico With Russell Wilson and Son Future
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Daughter Impressed With His Tattoo
- Artist of the Week: Fifth Harmony
- Johnny Depp Is 'Blackmailed' by 'Manipulative' Amber Heard, Says Friend Doug Stanhope
- Kim Kardashian Shows Off Her Curves in Cleavage-Baring Dress During Lunch With Kanye West
- 'Game of Thrones' 6.07 Preview: More Unexpected Returns