FOX to Re-Air Michael Jackson-Featuring 'The Simpsons'
To preserve Michael Jackson's legacy, FOX is planning to air "The Simpsons" episode where the King of Pop contributed a voice. On Sunday, July 5 at 8/7c, the network will re-run "Stark Raving Dad", the first episode of season 3 that originally aired in September 1991.
Michael voiced the character of Leon Kompowsky, an overweight brick-layer whom Homer met during his stint at Mental Institution. Leon made Homer believe that he was Michael Jackson. Not recognizing the famous name, Homer brought Leon home to Springfield where many had anticipated the arrival of the star.
Michael was not credited when the episode was first aired because due to contractual reasons, he has to use the pseudonym of John Jay Smith. There is a time where Leon sings, but the singing voice was provided by impressionist Kipp Lennon.
However, Michael's contribution is beyond just making a guest voice on the show. He also composed the song "Do the Bartman" which was performed by Bart's voice Nancy Cartwright. The song appeared on The Simpsons' 1990 album "The Simpsons Sing the Blues" but again, Michael was not credited because he was under contract with another label.
"It was always amazing to me that no one ever found out that Michael Jackson wrote that song," creator Matt Groening said in 1998. "He was a big fan of the show."
A sneak peek of "Stark Raving Dad":
"Do the Bartman":
More The Simpsons News
- Harley Quinn and The Joker Sport Very Different Tattoos in Early 'Suicide Squad' Concept Art
- 'Gotham': Cameron Monaghan Teases Disfigured Jerome With These Photos
- Spoiler Alert! 'Arrow' Showrunner Unveils Season 5 Finale Scene
- Trouble in Paradise? Jennifer Aniston's 'Tired' Justin Theroux Chooses His Career Over Her
- The Rock Has Some Epic Fights in New 'Jumanji' On-Set Photos
- Lady GaGa Causes Twitter Frenzy With Her 'Unrecognizable' Face on 'X Factor'
- New 'The Flash' Set Photos Reveal New Villain and a Mysterious Character
- Report: 'Game of Thrones' Books UFC Fighter Conor McGregor for Upcoming Season