Full Winners List of 2009 Oscars
And the Oscars coveted award of Best Motion Picture of the Year goes to "Slumdog Millionaire". This announcement consequently brings a total of eight nods for the film and a conclusion for this year's Academy Awards which was held at Los Angeles' Kodak Theater on Sunday, February 22.
The crew and stars of the movie were summoned to the stage by producer Christian Colson and director Danny Boyle. Colson said on the acceptance speech, "As you can see, our film was a collaboration of hundreds of people and I'm glad that so many of them could make it here tonight." The producer also added that "Slumdog" had virtually no money but a story that inspired "mad love" and a genius director.
Other multiple winners included "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", "The Dark Knight" and "Milk". While being nominated for thirteen categories, "Benjamin Button" has only managed to take home three kudos on the night. Moreover, "Dark Knight" and "Milk" have each collected two statuettes.
The gala ceremony honoring the best in film for 2008, the 81st Annual Academy Awards, was aired live by ABC. Produced by the men behind the Oscar-winning musical "Dreamgirls", Laurence Mark and Bill Condon, the show was hosted by Hugh Jackman with performances by Queen Latifah and Beyonce Knowles among others.
Full Winners List of the 81st Annual Academy Awards:
- Best Motion Picture of the Year: "Slumdog Millionaire"
- Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Sean Penn - "Milk"
- Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Kate Winslet - "The Reader"
- Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Heath Ledger - "The Dark Knight"
- Performance by Actress in a Supporting Role: Penelope Cruz - "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"
- Achievement in Directing: Danny Boyle - "Slumdog Millionaire"
- Adapted Screenplay: Simon Beaufoi - "Slumdog Millionaire"
- Original Screenplay: Dustin Lance Black - "Milk"
- Best Animated Feature Film of the Year: "Wall-E"
- Best Documentary Feature: "Man on Wire"
- Best Foreign Language Film of the Year: "Okuribito" ("Departures") - Japan
- Achievement in Art Direction: Donald Graham Burt and Victor J. Zolfo - "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
- Achievement in Cinematography: Anthony Dod Mantle - "Slumdog Millionaire"
- Achievement in Costume Design: Michael O'Connor - "The Duchess"
- Achievement in Film Editing: Chris Dickens - "Slumdog Millionaire"
- Achievement in Makeup: Greg Cannom - "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
- Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Score): A.R. Rahman - "Slumdog Millionaire"
- Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Song): "Jai Ho" - A.R. Rahman and Gulzar - "Slumdog Millionaire"
- Achievement in Sound Editing: Richard King - "The Dark Knight"
- Achievement in Sound Mixing: Ian Tapp, Richard Pryke and Resul Pookutty - "Slumdog Millionaire"
- Achievement in Visual Effects: Eric Barba, Steve Preeg, Burt Dalton and Craig Barron - "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
- Best Documentary Short Subject: "Smile Pinki"
- Best Animated Short Film: "La Maison en Petits Cubes"
- Best Live Action Short Film: "Spielzeugland (Toyland)"
- James Corden, Rose Byrne, Daisy Ridley Tapped for Peter Rabbit Movie
- Tom Hanks Crashes Wedding Photo Shoot at Central Park
- Lil Wayne Officiated Same-Sex Wedding in Prison, Found Out Drake Slept With His Girlfriend
- Amy Schumer Snogs Ben Hanisch on Kiss Cam During Mets Game
- Oh Boy! Harry Styles Rocks Three Different Looks for Another Man Magazine
- Taylor Lautner Says Britney Spears Tried to Set Him Up With Her Sister Jamie Lynn
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Do Have a Pre-Nup. So, Who's the Big Winner?
- 'Thor: Ragnarok': 'Jurassic Park' Star Sam Neill Reveals His Secret Role