'The Three Stooges' Being Revived by the Farrelly Brothers
The modern incarnation of comedy act "The Three Stooges" is indeed going to be picked up for big screen production. On Monday, November 3, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures announced that the studio have Bobby and Peter Farrelly, who spent five years trying to make the Stooges movie at Warner Bros., attached to the revived project as the directors.
Talking to Variety about the new "Stooges", Peter insisted that the movie won't be a biopic. "It's not a biopic. It takes place in present day, and they look, dress and sound exactly like the Stooges," he said. "When the economy started turning, we felt like the world could use a Stooges slapfest. Bobby and I haven't done a real physical comedy in a while, and it's the most exciting thing we could think of now, to have people go to the movie, see some great slapstick fun family humor."
Other than appointing the Farrelly brothers to helm the project, the studio have also set November 20, 2009 as the movie's U.S. release date. The schedule will put "Stooges" to be up against Robert Downey Jr.-starrer action film "Sherlock Holmes" and The Rock and Jessica Biel's animated film "Planet 51". The movie will also be opened five days before John Travolta-starring comedy "Old Dogs" hits the theaters.
The original "The Three Stooges" were an American vaudeville and comedy act started in 1925. Known for its physical slapstick comedy punctuated by quickly-delivered one-liners, the stooges themselves are commonly famous by their first names, like "Larry, Moe, and Curly" or "Moe, Larry, and Shemp".
- Brad Pitt Is Cocky General in Teaser for Netflix's 'War Machine'
- Oprah Winfrey Considers Running for President, Thanks to Donald Trump
- Andi Dorfman Sparks Plastic Surgery Rumors
- Madonna Is Turning to Ex Sean Penn Amid Adoption Crisis
- 'Beauty and the Beast' Will Feature Disney's First Gay Character
- Jay-Z and Chris Martin Enjoy Night Out in WeHo
- Kris Is Convincing Caitlyn Jenner to Return to 'KUWTK' After 'I Am Cait' Cancellation
- Lady GaGa Confirms Coachella Gig With Line-Up Photo