Artist of the Week: Robin Thicke
In September 2008, Robin Thicke released his third major studio album titled "Something Else". Speaking of the album, the singer stated, "It's time for hope and change. It's in the air. And I'm speaking on the times around me." On one of the songs called "Dreamworld", he narrated a racism situation that his wife "faces being an African-American woman in society and in Hollywood and the opportunities and the playing fields not being leveled." The 31-year-old musician explains, "In that conversation, we just started talking about what our dream world would be - that includes me and her walking in Mississippi without anybody looking at us."
Thicke began pursuing a music career at the age of sixteen by professionally writing songs for recording artists like Brandy, Brian McKnight, Usher, Michael Jackson, and Christina Aguilera. In 2000, Thicke then embarked on a career as a front-and-center singer by releasing a debut album, "Cherry Blues Sky".
Thicke decided to re-release his first record under a new title "A Beautiful World" in 2003. Carrying two bonus tracks, "A Beautiful World" and "She's Gangsta", the album peaked at number 4 on Billboard Hotseekers Album chart with a total selling point of 63,000 copies in the United States.
After signing a deal with Star Trak, Thicke teamed up with Pro Jay and The Neptunes to produce his sophomore effort "The Evolution of Robin Thicke". Lining up such big names as Lil Wayne, Faith Evans, and Pharrell Williams, the record experienced success by peaking at the top spot on Billboard R&B/Hip Hop Albums chart and reached number 5 on Billboard Hot 200 Albums chart. Also, his second album led Thicke winning the top prize on the category of Best R&B/Soul Album at 2007 Soul Train Awards.
- Taylor Kinney Gives Lady GaGa 'Ultimatum' as She's Still Undecided About Wedding Details
- Kim Kardashian Steals the Show at Scott Disick's Birthday Party With Her Barely-There Lace Dress
- Proud Papa Chris Brown Shares Cute Pictures of Royalty to Celebrate Her Birthday
- Amanda Holden Poses Naked for Charity. See the Racy Pic!
- Bruno Mars Is Readying a New Album for November
- Mariah Carey's Diva Antics: She Has Her Glam Team Work on Her While She Sleeps
- Kim Kardashian Kicks Kanye West Out of Their Bel Air House. Why?
- Watch Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus Envision Lighter 'Walking Dead' in NBC's Red Nose Day Special