Artist of the Week: Robin Thicke
In September 2008, Robin Thicke released his third major studio album titled "Something Else". Speaking of the album, the singer stated, "It's time for hope and change. It's in the air. And I'm speaking on the times around me." On one of the songs called "Dreamworld", he narrated a racism situation that his wife "faces being an African-American woman in society and in Hollywood and the opportunities and the playing fields not being leveled." The 31-year-old musician explains, "In that conversation, we just started talking about what our dream world would be - that includes me and her walking in Mississippi without anybody looking at us."
Thicke began pursuing a music career at the age of sixteen by professionally writing songs for recording artists like Brandy, Brian McKnight, Usher, Michael Jackson, and Christina Aguilera. In 2000, Thicke then embarked on a career as a front-and-center singer by releasing a debut album, "Cherry Blues Sky".
Thicke decided to re-release his first record under a new title "A Beautiful World" in 2003. Carrying two bonus tracks, "A Beautiful World" and "She's Gangsta", the album peaked at number 4 on Billboard Hotseekers Album chart with a total selling point of 63,000 copies in the United States.
After signing a deal with Star Trak, Thicke teamed up with Pro Jay and The Neptunes to produce his sophomore effort "The Evolution of Robin Thicke". Lining up such big names as Lil Wayne, Faith Evans, and Pharrell Williams, the record experienced success by peaking at the top spot on Billboard R&B/Hip Hop Albums chart and reached number 5 on Billboard Hot 200 Albums chart. Also, his second album led Thicke winning the top prize on the category of Best R&B/Soul Album at 2007 Soul Train Awards.
More Robin Thicke News
- 'Outlander' Casts David Berry in Pivotal Role of Lord John Grey
- 'Zombieland 2' Still Happening With Original's Scribes on Board
- Kim Kardashian Reportedly Furious Over Blac Chyna's Naked Photos for Paper Magazine
- Stephen Colbert Takes on Anthony Weiner's Sexting Scandal, Spoofs Beyonce's VMA Performance
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Reportedly Eyes Liam Garrigan to Portray King Arthur
- No, It's Not Britney! Kourtney Kardashian Plays With Huge Snake in This Cringe-Inducing Picture