Official Film Selection of Cannes Unveiled, 'Kung Fu Panda' and 'Indy 4' Listed
As the film line up for the 2008 Cannes Film Festival was announced on a press conference held at Intercontinental Le Grand Hotel, Paris on Wednesday, April 23, it is revealed that the prestigious film festival will be made merry by the screening of several highly awaited films. Though shunned away from the list of film up for Cannes' top prize, Palme d'Or, "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" and "Kung Fu Panda" will be making their world premiere on the event.
"Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" has earlier rumored to be rolling out its red carpet at the fest on May 18 and despite the fact that it has been announced to be among the films screened at the event, the confirmed date has yet to be unveiled. On the case of "Panda", Variety reported that the film featuring the voices of Jack Black and Angelina Jolie will be viewed on May 15. Aside from the action adventure film starring Harrison Ford and the DreamWorks' animation, other films scheduled to be viewed out of the competition on the event are Woody Allen's "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" and Kim Jee-woon's "The Good, the Bad, the Weird".
On the occasion, Cannes Film Festival President Gilles Jacob and Artistic Director Thierry Fremaux also revealed the line-up of the films that will compete for Palme d'Or. Though still fall short of one film which will be announced in the upcoming weeks, the 19 other movies competing for the honor include Clint Eastwood's "Changeling", Charlie Kaufman's "Synecdoche, New York" and Steven Soderbergh's two part Che Guevara biopic, "The Argentine" and "Guerrilla". It is also let out that Sean Penn is the president of the feature film jury in which Natalie Portman is also included.
The 61st Annual Cannes Film Festival will be held from May 14 to May 25, 2008. On the run for the festival opener are the highly anticipated "Sex and the City" and Robert De Niro and Catherine Keener-starring dramedy "What Just Happened?". Further, information about the festival can be seen at Festival-Cannes.fr, whereas the complete films line-up can be read on Cannes Official Press Kit (PDF). The shorter version can be read below.
The 61st Cannes Film Festival's Films Line-up:
- "24 City", Jia Zhangke (China)
- "Adoration", Atom Egoyan (Canada)
- "Changeling", Clint Eastwood (U.S.)
- "Che" ("The Argentine", "Guerrilla"), Steven Soderbergh (Spain)
- "Un Conte de noel", Arnaud Desplechin (France)
- "Three Monkeys", Nuri Bilge Ceylan (Turkey)
- "Delta", Kornel Mundruczo (Germany-Hungary)
- "Il Divo", Paolo Sorrentino (Italy)
- "Gomorra", Matteo Garrone (Italy)
- "La Frontiere de l'aube", Philippe Garrel (France)
- "Leonera", Pablo Trapero (Argentina-South Korea)
- "Linha de Passe", Walter Salles, Daniela Thomas (Brazil)
- "La Mujer sin cabeza", Lucrecia Martel (Argentina)
- "My Magic", Eric Khoo (Singapore)
- "The Palermo Shooting", Wim Wenders (Germany)
- "Serbis", Brillante Mendoza (Philippines)
- "The Silence of Lorna", Jean-Pierre Dardenne, Luc Dardenne (U.K.-France)
- "Synecdoche, New York", Charlie Kaufman (U.S.)
- "Waltz With Bashir", Ari Folman (Israel)
- "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull", Steven Spielberg (U.S.)
- "Kung Fu Panda", Mark Osborne, John Stevenson (U.S.)
- "The Good, the Bad, the Weird", Kim Jee-woon (South Korea)
- "Vicky Cristina Barcelona", Woody Allen (U.S.-Spain)
- Judi Dench Gets Her First Tattoo at Her 81st Birthday
- Keri Russell Reveals Her Baby's Gender and Name
- Debby Ryan Gets Probation After Pleading No Contest to DUI
- Justin Bieber Falls Again on Stage During His Concert
- Scott Eastwood Is in Talks to Star in 'Pacific Rim 2'
- Video: Chris Brown Throws a Fan's Phone Used to Film Him at a Club
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' Season 4 Casting News Fuels the Ghost Rider Speculation
- 'Quantico' Beauty Priyanka Chopra Reveals She Has 'Never Dated.' Here's Why