Denied of Shooting Permit in China, John Cusack's 'Shanghai' Relocated to Thailand
As the period drama film "Shanghai" was not allowed to film in China, it has been said that the shooting of the film starring the "Must Love Dogs" star John Cusack will be moved to another Asian location. According to Variety, the Weinstein Company's drama has been set to be relocated to Thailand as well as Britain.
On the relocating, the production house's co-owner Harvey Weinstein revealed that Thailand wasn't the studio's first pick for the re-location as the studio has considered other Asian locations including Hong Kong. "Hong Kong doesn't have the colonial era setting we need; it is difficult to find a building here less than 50 stories high," explained the movie executive. "So we will be going to Thailand and, believe it or not, England."
The film reportedly couldn't take its principal photography in China because there are concerns from the China's official about the script. Though refusing to openly reveal the reason behind the denied filming permit, the director of international cooperation at China's Film Bureau, Luan Guozhi stated on a telephone interview with The Associated Press on February 13, "We suggest they make some changes to the script and resubmit their application." A day prior, "Shanghai" producer Mike Medavoy announced the country's decision on blocking the permit.
Directed by Mikael Hafstrom, "Shanghai" which also features Asian stars, Chow Yun-fat, Gong Li and Ken Watanabe tells the story of an American who returned to the 1940s Japanese-occupied Shanghai to investigate his friend's death and during his investigation he discovers government secret. The film is expected to be released sometime in 2009.
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck
- I'm Guilty! 'Obsessed' Kim Kardashian Admits She Steals Things From Hotels
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Already Have Their First 'Major' Fight - What Is It About?
- Is The Flash Coming to 'Big Bang Theory'?
- Miley Cyrus Reportedly Pays for Everything in Her Relationship With Liam Hemsworth
- Prince William Says He Still Misses Princess Diana Every Day and We Can't Help Tearing Up
- Will X-Men Join Avengers in 'Infinity War'? Here's What Joe Russo Says