Daniel Radcliffe Will Reprise Revealing 'Equus' Role in Broadway Debut
Is film, television and stage actor, Daniel Radcliffe surely is no stranger to praise nor controversy. The starlet who keeps working on his way up the industry ladder is set to shake the earth once again with his marking his highly anticipated Broadway debut next year, reprising his much-talked role of Alan Strang for New York audiences.
Radcliffe himself has confirmed he's reprising his role as the mentally disturbed boy Strang, who pokes horses in the eye with a metal wire and strides them naked for sexual thrills, telling BBC News he was "incredibly excited" about the opportunity to appear in New York.
"Of course there's nerves. If I wasn't nervous then I would be dead," the 18-year-old actor revealed. "It's a good thing, it's healthy. I'm obviously nervous but I'm very very excited."
Radcliffe drew positive reviews from the London critics and lots of attention from gossip columnists because of the nude scene he did in Peter Shaffer's 1973 play "Equus." He completed his role in the play by June 9th.
Producer David Pugh and director Thea Sharrock told London's Daily Mail that after months of negotiation, a Broadway production will start rehearsing in August 2008, with performances to begin in September. There's no word yet on which theater will house the show or how long the play will last.
Radcliffe's co-star in the play, Richard Griffiths, will as well reprise his role of psychiatrist Martin Dysart, who attempts to discover the source of Strang's psychosis, for the Broadway show.
Is hopeful that "Equus" will be a hit among New Yorkers, Radliffe was quoted as saying "If we can get a straight play to really succeed in a world of theater that is so besieged by musicals, that would be a real achievement and I think the time is absolutely right to do it there" adding that "For a kid who grew up listening to showbiz tunes in the car, Broadway is a big, big thing. All the people I know in New York say New York is ready for this kind of play."
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival