The 64th Venice Film Festival Kicked Off with Pleasing Atonement
The celebration on the world's oldest movie event for the sixtieth four times began yesterday, Wednesday, August 29, as British romantic drama feature "Atonement" marked the smooth opening of this year's Venice Film Festival at the historic Palazzo del Cinema.
Outside the building, red carpet was rolled out against the backdrop of a demolition ball smashing through the old Palazzo del Cinema to greet the arrivals of famous figures in movie industry, notably the film's cast Keira Knightley, James McAvoy, Vanessa Redgrave, and Saoirse Ronan plus director Joe Wright.
Joined the pack were "Michael Clayton" director Tony Gilroy and Oscar-winning Taiwanese filmmaker Ang Lee, whose new work "Lust, Caution" will encounter its world premiere at the festival. British director Kenneth Branagh and stars of his detective thriller "Sleuth" Michael Caine and Jude Law were also spotted to attend the occasion as well as fest artistic director Marco Mueller and Venice Biennale president Davide Croff.
In coming days, names like Scarlett Johansson and Brad Pitt are also expected to land their feet at the Lido with Johnny Depp to present some advance footage of his starring vehicle "Sweeney Todd" and bestow pic's director Tim Burton the Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement on September 5. Fest, running through September 8, consists of lineup that includes Venezia 64-In Competition, Venezia 64-Out of Competition, Orizzonti, Corto Cortissimo, and Secret History of Italian Cinema 4.
- NBC Officially Greenlights 'Will and Grace' Revival
- Drake Meets J.Lo's Children - Are They Getting Serious?
- Bella Hadid and Justin Bieber Accuse Selena Gomez of Using The Weeknd for Promotion
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Toys Reveal First Look at Kurt Russell's Ego
- Will Kanye West Perform at Pal Donald Trump's Inauguration?
- Fergie Who? Nicole Scherzinger to Replace the Singer in Black Eyed Peas
- Tupac Shakur Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Is Set to Be Released in Summer
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Rumors After Seen Shopping Together