Michelle Rodriguez and Stephen Lang Added to Avatar
Landing feet as the latest additions in the cast lineup, Michelle Rodriguez and Stephen Lang have both been picked up to fill in the remaining roles in James Cameron's ambitious performance-capture flick "Avatar", Variety has revealed.
A $190 million hybrid of live action and animation produced under 20th Century Fox, pic centers on a wounded ex-marine assigned to settle and exploit an exotic planet rich in bio-diversity who eventually crosses over to lead the indigenous race in a battle for survival. Lang is informed to play a seasoned Marine Corps colonel who travels to the planet to take charge of its troops while Rodriguez will portray an ex-Marine pilot.
For Lang, known for his stage performances in plays like "Defiance" and "Death of a Salesman", the sci-fi thriller will finally materialize his dream to work under Cameron after twenty years since his failure in nabbing a starring part in "Aliens." Meanwhile, Rodriguez is said by Cameron to be someone he has wanted to work with since he saw the actress' enactment in 2000's "Girlfight."
Production on "Avatar" is currently underway in Los Angeles and will move by October to Wellington, New Zealand, close to Weta Digital, the famed F/X studio supervising its visual effects. Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, and Sigourney Weaver are leading the cast with Cameron also producing alongside Jon Landau and Rae Sanchini for Fox to release the film on May 22, 2009.
More Avatar News
- Katy Perry Teases New KP4 Song 'Witness'
- J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez Are Head Over Heels for Each Other
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Attend Funeral for His Nephew
- Ed Sheeran Forgets Lyrics During Live Performance
- Watch Second Trailer for 'Justice League'
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby