Gwen Stefani Makes Adjustment for Malaysian Concert
Gwen Stefani has taken a diplomatic step responding to a group of conservative Muslim students in Malaysia that protested against her "obscene" attire. She took the core of the problem and decided not to wear revealing costumes for her concert.
Maxis Communications Bhd. that serves as the event organizer said, "Gwen Stefani has confirmed that her concert will not feature any revealing costumes. She will abide by the Malaysian authorities' guidelines to ensure that her show will not be offensive to local sensitivities."
Maxis which was also attacked for promoting the concert is now defending itself, saying that the company "respects the values and conventions of this country". With the words come a promise that they will make sure that nothing goes wrong.
Further approach is made by Malaysia's Culture, Arts and Heritage Ministry, imposing rules for female artists that appear on the country. She must be covered from the top of her chest to her knees. No jumping, shouting or throwing of objects onstage or at the audience is allowed. Performers cannot hug or kiss, and their clothes cannot have obscene or drug-related images or messages.
The end of last month, a group of students making up for The National Union of Malaysian Muslim Students, banned Gwen's concert that is slated to take place August 21 at Putra Indoor Stadium. "Her performance and her attire are not suitable for our culture. It promotes a certain degree of obscenity and will encourage youth to emulate the western lifestyle. The concert should be stopped," the union's vice president, Abdul Muntaqim, told the Associated Press.
More Gwen Stefani News
- Josh Gad Recruits Chris Pratt, J.J. Abrams and More to Get 'Star Wars' Spoilers From Daisy Ridley
- Kris Jenner Reveals Whether She Will Marry Corey Gamble
- First Photo of 'The Predator' Cast in Costume Unveiled
- Calvin Harris Teases Collaborative Song With Frank Ocean and Offset
- 'Mission: Impossible 6' Will Feature Ethan Hunt's Emotional Journey, Says Director
- Jennifer Lopez on Drake and Dating Younger Men: 'It Has Nothing to Do With Age'
- 'The Bachelor' Recap: Nick Gets Surprise Visit From Ex Andi Dorfman After Hometown Dates
- Drake Gives a Birthday Shout Out to Rihanna During Concert