Gas Explosions Halt Goo Goo Dolls Concert
Music act Goo Goo Dolls was forced to cancel their concert at the Emerald Theatre Wednesday afternoon May 3rd, 2006 following a failure in an underground electrical line that caused a series of gas explosions that sent utility hole covers flying.
What a fortunate that the blast caused no injury, though it forced evacuation of part of the downtown for several hours besides caused some property damage. Speaking on the incident, a DTE Energy Co. spokesman said the day's unusually warm weather led to a spike in demand for electricity as people turned on air conditioners.
"All of a sudden, we have a hot day and there was a surge in the load, which caused the explosion in the manhole," power company supervisor Bill Heinrich said in a statement. "We have to just be thankful that no one was hurt," said Mayor Barb Dempsey.
- Oscar Accountants Issue an Apology Over Best Picture Blunder
- Halle Berry Rocks Big Curly Locks at the Academy Awards
- 'Batman v Superman', 'Hillary's America' Are Top Losers at Razzie Awards
- Nicole Kidman Passionately Kisses Keith Urban as He Naughtily Grabs Her Bum on Oscars' Red Carpet
- 'The Walking Dead' 7.12 Sneak Peeks: More Guns, More People, More Time
- President Donald Trump to Skip White House Correspondents' Dinner Following Tension With Press
- 'Cars 3' New Extended Teaser Introduces the Next Generation of Racers
- Lea Michele Gets Naked in Bed With a Guy Before Oscars