Gas Explosions Halt Goo Goo Dolls Concert
Music act Goo Goo Dolls was forced to cancel their concert at the Emerald Theatre Wednesday afternoon May 3rd, 2006 following a failure in an underground electrical line that caused a series of gas explosions that sent utility hole covers flying.
What a fortunate that the blast caused no injury, though it forced evacuation of part of the downtown for several hours besides caused some property damage. Speaking on the incident, a DTE Energy Co. spokesman said the day's unusually warm weather led to a spike in demand for electricity as people turned on air conditioners.
"All of a sudden, we have a hot day and there was a surge in the load, which caused the explosion in the manhole," power company supervisor Bill Heinrich said in a statement. "We have to just be thankful that no one was hurt," said Mayor Barb Dempsey.
- Chris Brown Sued for Allegedly Stealing a Fan's Hat at Concert
- Listen to Previews of Justin Bieber's Remix of Drake's 'One Dance'
- Take a Look at Ciara's Exotic Vacation in Mexico With Russell Wilson and Son Future
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Daughter Impressed With His Tattoo
- Artist of the Week: Fifth Harmony
- Johnny Depp Is 'Blackmailed' by 'Manipulative' Amber Heard, Says Friend Doug Stanhope
- Kim Kardashian Shows Off Her Curves in Cleavage-Baring Dress During Lunch With Kanye West
- 'Game of Thrones' 6.07 Preview: More Unexpected Returns