Gas Explosions Halt Goo Goo Dolls Concert
Music act Goo Goo Dolls was forced to cancel their concert at the Emerald Theatre Wednesday afternoon May 3rd, 2006 following a failure in an underground electrical line that caused a series of gas explosions that sent utility hole covers flying.
What a fortunate that the blast caused no injury, though it forced evacuation of part of the downtown for several hours besides caused some property damage. Speaking on the incident, a DTE Energy Co. spokesman said the day's unusually warm weather led to a spike in demand for electricity as people turned on air conditioners.
"All of a sudden, we have a hot day and there was a surge in the load, which caused the explosion in the manhole," power company supervisor Bill Heinrich said in a statement. "We have to just be thankful that no one was hurt," said Mayor Barb Dempsey.
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding