Gas Explosions Halt Goo Goo Dolls Concert
Music act Goo Goo Dolls was forced to cancel their concert at the Emerald Theatre Wednesday afternoon May 3rd, 2006 following a failure in an underground electrical line that caused a series of gas explosions that sent utility hole covers flying.
What a fortunate that the blast caused no injury, though it forced evacuation of part of the downtown for several hours besides caused some property damage. Speaking on the incident, a DTE Energy Co. spokesman said the day's unusually warm weather led to a spike in demand for electricity as people turned on air conditioners.
"All of a sudden, we have a hot day and there was a surge in the load, which caused the explosion in the manhole," power company supervisor Bill Heinrich said in a statement. "We have to just be thankful that no one was hurt," said Mayor Barb Dempsey.
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!
- 'Rogue One': Gareth Edwards Teases Ben Mendelsohn's 'Working Class' Character
- Laverne Cox Is a 'Bad B***h,' Slays Nicki Minaj's 'Roman's Revenge' in 'Lip Sync Battle' Clip
- Jack O'Connell to Star as Alexander McQueen in Biopic
- Move Out Rihanna! Drake Wakes Up Next to 'the Most Beautiful Woman' After His Birthday Party
- 'Carpool Karaoke': Lady GaGa Is Novice Driver, James Corden Tries on Her Infamous Costumes
- Shia LaBeouf Is a Marine With PTSD in 'Man Down' Teaser Trailer