Gas Explosions Halt Goo Goo Dolls Concert
Music act Goo Goo Dolls was forced to cancel their concert at the Emerald Theatre Wednesday afternoon May 3rd, 2006 following a failure in an underground electrical line that caused a series of gas explosions that sent utility hole covers flying.
What a fortunate that the blast caused no injury, though it forced evacuation of part of the downtown for several hours besides caused some property damage. Speaking on the incident, a DTE Energy Co. spokesman said the day's unusually warm weather led to a spike in demand for electricity as people turned on air conditioners.
"All of a sudden, we have a hot day and there was a surge in the load, which caused the explosion in the manhole," power company supervisor Bill Heinrich said in a statement. "We have to just be thankful that no one was hurt," said Mayor Barb Dempsey.
- Tarek El Moussa Addresses Rumors He Called Estranged Wife Christina a 'Whore'
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo
- Mandy Moore Is Eager to Have Kids 'Sooner Than Later.' Ready to Start a Family?
- Ed Sheeran Wants to Collaborate With Beyonce, Plans Tour in March