AceShowbiz - Harvey Weinstein escaped injury in a recent car accident. The former movie producer smashed his 2017 Jeep into a tree when he was driving through Bedford in Westchester County earlier this month, law enforcement sources tell the New York Post's Page Six.
The accident reportedly happened on Bedford Center Road near Succabone Road around 8:55 A.M. on August 17. The 67-year-old allegedly told cops that he swerved his car to avoid a deer, causing it to crash into a tree and flip.
A source says the car ended up on its side and Weinstein had to kick his way out of the vehicle. He luckily was unharmed in the accident. His reps, however, refused to comment on the report.
According to another source, the disgraced Hollywood mogul's ex-wife, fashion designer Georgina Chapman, recently bought a farm in Bedform and Weinstein has been renting a small home nearby so he can be close to their children.
Weinstein has been laying low while waiting for a trial in the alleged sexual assault of production assistant Mimi Haleyi in 2006 and the alleged rape of a longtime lover, who hasn't been publicly identified, in 2013.
On Monday, August 26, he pleaded not guilty to new counts of predatory sexual assault. Under a new grand jury indictment, "The Sopranos" star Annabella Sciorra will testify against Weinstein to support the allegations of what prosecutors said is a pattern of sexually criminal behavior. Sciorra claimed she was raped by Weinstein inside her Manhattan apartment in 1993, but the alleged encounter happened too long ago to be charged separately as rape.
Weinstein maintains his sexual encounters with Sciorra and two other women were consensual. After the hearing, Weinstein's lead defense lawyer Donna Rotunno said the new charges brought against her client showed that the prosecutors "are desperate." Rotunno added, "We plan on filing many motions attempting to again dismiss these counts. I think the case itself is weak, and I think they feel like they need this portion to help."
Weinstein's trial had been scheduled to begin on September 9, but Manhattan Supreme Court Judge James Burke has moved the start date to January 6, 2020 to allow his lawyers to prepare a defense against these new charges.