Marlee Matlin Insists She's Not Broke Despite Owing Tax
Actress Marlee Matlin is in trouble with U.S. tax authorities - she owes $50,000. The Oscar-winning actress insists she's working out a schedule with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to pay back the debt, which dates back to 2009.
She tells People.com, "I'm not broke. Like everybody else, I owe money... I'm not shying away from it and I'm certainly not ashamed of it. It doesn't mean I'm a bad person. It's the reality that a lot of people in America are facing."
"My husband is a Los Angeles area police officer and between the two of us we have always made ends meet in the past - and we will in this circumstance as well."
The "Children of a Lesser God" star is also taking measures to make sure she doesn't fall behind on her taxes again - Matlin is putting the family's home up for sale and moving her kids from private to public school.
She adds, "Living modestly in a suburban neighborhood while trying to support four children through private school is not extravagant or living large. (But) transitioning out of a private school environment will certainly relieve some of the financial pressures."
- John Legend Expresses His Anger and Hope in 'In America'
- Ryan Gosling Explains His Giggle During Oscar Fiasco
- Report: Kevin Hart's Wife Eniko Pregnant With Their First Child
- 'Avengers: Infinity War' Starts Filming in Scotland, Set Photos and Video Arrive
- 'Orphan Black' Unveils First Photos and Details of Final Season
- Hailey Baldwin Fuels Cameron Dallas Dating Rumors as They're Spotted Grabbing Lunch Together
- Donald Trump and Wife Melania Reportedly Sleep in Separate Bedrooms and Never Spend a Night Together
- Iggy Azalea Is Twerking in Sneak Peek of 'Mo Bounce' Music Video