Marlee Matlin Insists She's Not Broke Despite Owing Tax
Actress Marlee Matlin is in trouble with U.S. tax authorities - she owes $50,000. The Oscar-winning actress insists she's working out a schedule with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to pay back the debt, which dates back to 2009.
She tells People.com, "I'm not broke. Like everybody else, I owe money... I'm not shying away from it and I'm certainly not ashamed of it. It doesn't mean I'm a bad person. It's the reality that a lot of people in America are facing."
"My husband is a Los Angeles area police officer and between the two of us we have always made ends meet in the past - and we will in this circumstance as well."
The "Children of a Lesser God" star is also taking measures to make sure she doesn't fall behind on her taxes again - Matlin is putting the family's home up for sale and moving her kids from private to public school.
She adds, "Living modestly in a suburban neighborhood while trying to support four children through private school is not extravagant or living large. (But) transitioning out of a private school environment will certainly relieve some of the financial pressures."
- Watch Juicy J and Kanye West in 'Ballin' Video
- Tina Fey Suggested Alec Baldwin to Play Donald Trump on 'Saturday Night Live'
- Watch Ben Affleck and Matt Damon Hilariously Argue Over Who's Closer to Tom Brady
- Daisy Ridley, Judi Dench and More A-Listers Join Johnny Depp in 'Murder on the Orient Express'
- Confirmed! Lady GaGa Is Headlining 2017 Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Oops! Cher Accidentally Retweets a Dick Pic
- No More Bad Blood! Taylor Swift and Calvin Harris Are Texting Again
- Rob Kardashian Crushing on His Own Sister Kim When He Was Young