Marlee Matlin Insists She's Not Broke Despite Owing Tax
Actress Marlee Matlin is in trouble with U.S. tax authorities - she owes $50,000. The Oscar-winning actress insists she's working out a schedule with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to pay back the debt, which dates back to 2009.
She tells People.com, "I'm not broke. Like everybody else, I owe money... I'm not shying away from it and I'm certainly not ashamed of it. It doesn't mean I'm a bad person. It's the reality that a lot of people in America are facing."
"My husband is a Los Angeles area police officer and between the two of us we have always made ends meet in the past - and we will in this circumstance as well."
The "Children of a Lesser God" star is also taking measures to make sure she doesn't fall behind on her taxes again - Matlin is putting the family's home up for sale and moving her kids from private to public school.
She adds, "Living modestly in a suburban neighborhood while trying to support four children through private school is not extravagant or living large. (But) transitioning out of a private school environment will certainly relieve some of the financial pressures."
- Oscars 2017: 'La La Land' Leads With 14 Nods, 7 Black Actors Are Among 20 Acting Nominees
- 'The Ring' Prank Is Too Real to Not Be Terrified. See People's Reactions
- First Look at Sebastian Stan in 'I, Tonya' Arrives as Caitlin Carver Joins the Cast
- Furious Chris Brown Hits Back at Aziz Ansari for Comparing Him to Donald Trump
- Michelle Rodriguez Is a Transgender in 'The Assignment' Trailer
- Bella Hadid Gets Frisky in Threesome Photo With Kendall Jenner and Riccardo Tisci
- Alec Baldwin Will Host 'Saturday Night Live' for the 17th Time
- Sabrina Carpenter Slays a Mash-Up of Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' and TLC's 'No Scrubs'